Sunday, October 4, 2009

Bless the Beasts and the Children...


Happy Sunday and Happy Feast of St. Francis of Assisi. Today is recognized as a day of acknowledgement of St. Francis' love of animals and ecology.
My Mother was in town for the weekend and Her and I attended Mass at St. Peter's Catholic Church in Mt. Clemens. The blessing of the pets was said by the priest and I was touched by the authenticity and general reverence for the animals. Now, that being said, I had no idea there was such a day! As a lifelong Catholic and pet lover, I am not sure how that one escaped me. The prayer and sentiment are so sweet not to mention ages old. The pets get extra treats for being the loving, unconditional, goofballs that they are. Our lives wouldn't be the same without them. Amen to the very, very cool St. Francis of Assisi.
Strangely enough, I have read two reports recently about horrific abuse to kittens. May these cruel wretches suffer a similar fate. Both perpetrators have been caught and I hope they rot in jail and later hell.

And now, my second favorite "animals" have made me a happy chick! Just finished up watching our beloved Tigers beat Chicago. (sorry, Wil) After last nights painful debacle, the win was a joy! Coach Jim Leland would have been considered a bum if we would have lost, but in the event of the win--He is genius. Next game is Tuesday in Minnesota. Thank God, we all need a break right along with our athletes. Although it rained off and on, here at home, a mere 20 minutes away, Comerica Park remained dry. I was just to wussy to brave the cold and possible rain that I thought the live game would hold. Altho I would have loved to run the bases after the game!!Bless you boys and Go Detroit!! You rule and ROCK!! xoxo




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. i hated to see rodney come in, bet he did it... minnisota tue. hope you had fun with mom. go tigers..

Charles Gramlich said...

Lana and I are big animal lovers. She even more than me.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I watched a show today about women adopting baby monkeys and treating them like humans. Made me cringe a tad. Also, it's nice to know our ballplayers got that monkey off their backs.

Anonymous said...

No prob on the Sox there Jodi, our season was done awhile ago. We did end up making it pretty exciting in the end. I have to say I would rather see Detroit win Tuesday than Minnesota. The Twinkies are my most hated team, followed closely by Cleveland and then your Tigers.

Sorry about spanking your Lions, which now that I think of it sounds pretty kinky and makes me feel kind of "heavy".

And of course it's that time of year again my dear and you will be crying this Thursday night when Toews and "20 Cent" Kane run all over your Dead Wings.

I guess that is all for now. I think your new tagline should be:

"The J Spot - Spank My Lions"

Smell your bushes later, Wil

Wil Harrison.com

the walking man said...

c'mon Jodi even an old never to go into a Catholic church again Catholic lad as myself knows there is such a proliferation of saints that there is a feast day for one or the other of them every day of the year.

Gotta be a patron saint for the misguided Wils of the world eh? Saint Dumassacis maybe?

rosegarden said...

Hey good seeing your mom this weekend. Enjoyed our liitle ladies nite on Friday. Come on Tigers kick some MInnesota But!!!!!

Erik Donald France said...

St. Francis is so cool; always inspires me to try to be nicer in general, and to get rid of as many poassessions as possible.

Sad about the Tigers. The ending with the Twins BLEW. I had to leave the TV when the Tigers were up by one in the 11th, and was hoping they could hold on . . .

Although when I was a kid, we used to see the Twins play; as an adult, TigerLand!

Mona said...

I love animals too, specially cats!

jodi said...

Anon/Steve-Tigers ALWAYs rule for us die hards. Mom and me had a great time. Charles-Me, too! JR-I saw that too! Creepy. I think chimps are much more cuddly. Wil-Tiger fan 4ever! Do not discount our Wings, brother. There will be no spanking of anything--Lions, bushes or otherwise! WM-true, but with animals my cause, it still is crazy that I did not ever bless 'em. Yes, Wil does deserve? sainthood for his wayward ways. You picked the perfect name! Rose, Ladies nites are always the best. Erik, I agree with the St. Francis influence. Very inspirational dude. TigerLand 4 ever! Mona, Me too, especially my precious Lola. I am missing her so much while on vay cay! xoxo Enjoy your week all and as usual, thanks for the support. Huge hug.