Sunday, November 22, 2009

Found a Cure...



The swine flu epidemic and hassle over the do or do not of the H1N1 preventatives is scary and enough to make your head spin. This has me thinking of the old time cures that my Grampa and even parents used to look for back in the day. When the swiney went around in the 70's I remember it, and think I may have even had it. It didn't seem any more deadly than some other influenza's that were going around. But, it was the 70's and we had other things to worry about catching! (did, however, miss out on 'those' things!)

For instance, if we had an ear infection, my Dad would fire up a Salem, blow the warm yet cool menthol smoke in the offending ear, and have us lay with the throbbing ear on a pillow to hold in the smoke. It felt warm and we felt warm with all the 'special' attention. Maybe it worked. So, in the last few years I have read that smoke, first or secondhand, actually CONTRIBUTES to ear infections! Who knew? Seemed liked a good idea at the time.
When swimming, and we got a bloodsucker on our feet, again Dad was called to duty. He would get out his trusty lighter and fire the flame up on high. The offending gross thing, would get singed, curl up and drop off. And with any luck, our toes would escape third degree burns. The area was then doused with cold beer and we were back on our way. Crisis averted.
Got head lice? Pour kerosene over entire head. If that doesn't work, shave off all hair. That little nugget from Grampa Crevier. Made perfect sense--to him!
Never, I repeat, NEVER go to the doctor unless you are bleeding out of your eyeballs. The same goes for missing school. Antibiotics were just unnecessary. These things will just go away the same way they appeared--on their own. Rarely were fingers and toes ever xrayed. Didn't matter if they were swollen like sausages, and limpin' like lepers. Just soak 'em in Epsom Salts. Breaks, fractures or whatever would be just fine. You could learn to be ambidextrous. Or you could 'hop' on your good foot.

Lots of inferences to 'mustard poultices' were suggested by my Grampa. Gladly I didn't have to endure that particular cure. Got worms? Don't even ask. Castor oil will cure ya. Or kill ya.
My all time favorite (shock!) was the coughing cure. After just about hacking out our lungs (no antibiotic needed!) we were treated to the famous 'hot toddy'. You didn't have to ask me twice! A large shot of cheap whiskey with honey and sugar was heated up and delivered bedside. Sit up and drink this would be the prescription. After slammin' a highball of that, we would pass out with the whiskey burnin' our throats. Maybe had a headache upon waking, but much less severe on the coughing end of things. And the rest of the household could get some sleep, too.
Having trouble seeing the blackboard? Move to the front and eat more carrots. Simple enough.

Much mention for saltwater rinses, calamine lotion, vinegar, and Vick's vapor rub could pretty much round out the cures. The chicken noodle soup cure has been proved effective and with the famous 'whiskey potion', I think I am all set. Anyone got any special cures for me to consider? Please share. Love to all. xoxo

6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

We certainly didn't go to the hospital in my youth either. and the illnesses did typically go away. Of course, a hot totty of lemon, sugar, and whiskey never hurt.

Erik Donald France said...

Beat on the bongo drums -- that always helps ;->

Some of the samr remedies, and stuff like Vick's steamed (I still like a small dose of Vick's in a pinch, almost like gellish snuff). Never got any kind of flu vaccine and hopefully never will. I did get shots to help prevent future outbreaks of poison ivy (highly ridiculously allergic) and knock on wood, have never gotten it again since my mid-20s.

Anonymous said...

Grandma Kollien's cure for planters warts. Soak the foot or feet in Warm Pickle Brine every night for two weeks. Son of a gun, after 2 weeks the darn things fell out of my sister Krale's foot. Of course this was tried after the doctor couldn't cure them with freezing, burning or cutting them out. Sure wished we had tried Grandma first. Also to "dry up" after you are completely finished breast feeding."Well honey,just put a little camphour spirits in your breast pads." Again worked like a charm. Wish I had asked for more remedies! Who knew!!!

the walking man said...

Marijuana..'nuff said.

JR's Thumbprints said...

After reading about this, I guess I won't be eating any leftover turkey.

jodi said...

Charles, are you my brother by a different mother? Same sorta upbringing! Erik-it's a djembe, dude! But, yes, it does help! I, too am highly allergic to poison ivy. I had a series of shots that kept it at bay for 20 years. I have gotten a mild case since moving here and can't find an allergist who gives those shot. Can you recommend? Pleeze?! Anon/Gayle. How come I don't remember Gramma? Her cures rock? I do remember Krale's warty feet! What in God's name is camphor spirts? Mark-ancient indian secret...I concur! JR-Whassamatter? Afraid you will fall into a tryptophan coma and eat the preying mantis?