Sunday, November 15, 2009

T.R.O.U.B.L.E......


So, the firearm deer season opens this week. I know it's official when I get an invite from an old friend, Gayle, imploring me to 'come up' and enjoy a ladies night out with the girls. I don't even have to ask what this is all about. It's a 'hunt' as old as the ages. And God above - it can't be good.

Let me explain. While growing up 'up north' the firearm deer season was met with mixed reviews. Rave reviews by local bars, restaurants, and grocers; horrible reviews by our parents. It made for wonderful increased income for the area and increased ulcers for our parents. Like the third week in August when the air base hosted thousands of trainees; during hunting season baby - there was new meat in town! My Mom and Dad used to practically lock us up to protect us from the 'fly boys' and the 'downstate hunters.' Had to watch out for their innocent little 'swamp angels.'

Little did they know...the girls in my group LOVED it. What was not to love? Our little town was FLOODED with guys. The grocery store and gas station were packed with dudes in new camo and expensive SUV's stocking up on supplies. They proved to be very helpful if we needed groceries hauled or gas pumped. How gallant! Yee Ha!
Okay, for Saturday night, me and my girlies would plan our perfect outfits, have a few pre-cocktails and hit the town. Primarily there were two main bars that were known for being a hunter's hang out. We arrived, sized up the dudes, got free drinks, and danced and flirted our asses off. We knew perfectly well that they had just gotten their wedding rings off (all hunters are single north of Standish) and they knew we were WAY too young for anything other than drinks and dancing. Perfect for both sides. Rarely did it lead to anything more. Up north chickies are notorious for 'flirting but not flopping'. And so it goes...
So with the opening of the season today (and none too soon, I might add) I officially pass the torch. Let's wish all hunters a safe and fun season. And to the next generation of girlies: well, shoot 'em dead, babes! xo








8 comments:

The Peach Tart said...

sounds like a fun ritual

Charles Gramlich said...

LOL. A waltz as old as time.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Sounds like last Friday's office talk; only more logical and less calculated--that is, unless you've joined your friend Gayle for opening weekend.

the walking man said...

At the age in question, at the time of year mentioned, always found the hunting better in the city.

Erik Donald France said...

That's hilarious, Jodi. And a cool photo, too.

I wonder what those "left behind" by all the men were up to? Haha.

Mona said...

Hunting is banned in my country!
You get jailed for shooting a black buck.

You look great in that photo Jodi!

jodi said...

Peachie, Oh Girrrrl, it is! Charles-You got that right. JR-Gayle held court without me. But it USED to be a blast. WM-I haven't "hunted" in over 20 years-but I was a good 'shot' back in the day..sigh. Erik, I have been a HSW (hunting season widow) for 17 years. Being left here in the city involves lunch with my homefries, spa treatments, and shopping. Whine, wine, whine! Mona-what on earth is a black buck? Thanks for the nice things you say! Hey all, have a great and thankful Thanksgiving. Love to all, j xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late reading this, but isn't that "kind of" how you met Randy? Miss you and we have to get together soon!

Kells