Sunday, September 19, 2010

King of the Whole Wide World....


I took a trip around the world this week--mall style. No kidding. If you want an international experience, you need look no further.


After a particularly grueling workout with Trainer Tony, I hauled my sore body to the mall to run some errands and 'beauty up' a bit. Upon entering, I was easily convinced by a darling Chinese girl to sit down and get a 20 minute shiatsu massage. She was polite and my neck and back loosened up under her expert touch.


A little farther on, a boy from Israel talked me into a hand massage with minerals from the Dead Sea. My hands were like silk and I asked him a lot of questions just to keep him talking (and rubbing!) with that very cool accent. And yes, I sprung for the products.


On to National Coney Island where a polite man from Greece served me a delicious hani sandwich. His English was broken and charming and the sandwich was heavenly--as usual.


I then stopped by the booth to get my eyebrows threaded. Threading is an ancient beauty treatment originating in India. My regular girl, (from India), swiftly and professionally snapped my brows into perfect shape. See ya in two weeks Doll!


At Perfumania I picked up some cologne that I like. The girl behind the counter was very exotic and had a lilting accent. When I asked her, she informed me that she was from Cameroon. Africa. How cool is that?


With just one more thing to do, I headed over to get my toes 'did'. My expert girl, a darling chickie from Vietnam, made my toes look f.i.n.e.-fine. Cherry Blossom pink. I picked her brain for family history and learned that she has been here only 1 year with the goal of owning her own salon one day.


As I sported my new pedi out to my car, it dawned on me what an experience that I just had. I was treated respectfully and professionally by everyone and I enjoyed learning the new things that they had to offer. Someday I hope to do some international travel, but until then I'll just take a spin around the mall. Who knew? xo

8 comments:

the walking man said...

And Elvis? He serenaded you round the world Jodi?

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds like a day of pampering. We all need some of these.

Heff said...

All we got in our malls are indians. Not quite as worldly.

Erik Donald France said...

Background music: "Roam if you want to . . ."

Sounds fun ~ it is a small world after all!

Unknown said...

Missed ya this weekend! I'm sure you had a blast!

JR's Thumbprints said...

Perhaps I'll go shopping for a pair of over-underpants; that way I'll be prepared for a trip to India. But then again, I'll need a lungi as well.

rosegarden said...

think of the time saved doing all your traveling in one mall!!! Who knew. Sounds like a great day of pampering.

jodi said...

Mark, I met Elvis in Key West where he is a regular! Charles, I WAS fab! Heff, too bad for ya, cuz it's pretty cool. Erik, perfect musical addition--as usual! Kels, yes it was a fun one! JR, what's a lungi? Rose, crazy shit, huh? I do love the pampering... And to all of you, Elvis has left the blogosphere! xoxo