Sunday, September 12, 2010

Love Calling....




This weekend found me making the pilgrimage to Ossineke to visit family and attend the shower and 'Bachelorette' party for my beautiful niece, Laurel.

The festivities began with yummy hors d' oeuvres and cocktails while Laurel answered questions pertaining to her groom while he played along via computer screen. Door prizes were liberally given out and I was thrilled to get some great goodies. My sister knows better than to force me to play 'bridesmaid bingo' for a dishcloth! Then the opening of the gifts where Laurel scored quite the loot for her new home. Very cute and staid activities as per the usual shower custom...

But then.......A bus pulled up and it was all aboard for the official 'bachelorette party'. No chances for the PoPo to pick up a drunken bridesmaid--or Auntie Jodi! Now at this point, I would like to point out that I am too 'experienced' for this kinda nonsense. Thank you blog friend Erik (Erik's Choice) for sweetly pointing out the difference between old and experienced. xo!

But when in Rome....

Laurel gamely sported a t-shirt with hard candies that invited dudes to 'suck for a buck'! She netted 96 bucks from the eager 'suckers'. Her tiara and veil were cleverly festooned with tiny penises. And a giant, 8 foot inflated penis appeared from somewhere and was anointed as the official mascot. I think you get the theme of things. Much female bonding occurred while drinking shots and toasting the bride-to-be. I escaped the whole thing with a smile and most of my pride intact.

But, oh to be a groom. Skip the shower thing and just head out for the bonding and debauchery, with out the care of matching rugs and towels. There may even be some nudity for the lucky guy, in case he never sees a naked woman again. So much easier when the groom isn't forced to wear a crown or clothing sporting female body parts. Just buddy's, beer and booze. I've heard the girly version be called very unflatteringly-- I may add, a 'hen party'. Does that make the guys party a 'cock party'? No. I think WE had that covered!! Congrats to Laurel and Ben--Oct. 17 will be here soon!

Congrats also for my Godchild Nicole and her new baby Evan. I got to hold the sweet pea when he was a scant 24 hours old. What a darling addition to our family! Kisses to Mommy and Baby.
Happy Fall to all and enjoy this lovely weather! xoxo

8 comments:

the walking man said...

Having only been to one bachelor party (no it wasn't mine--I had one, I was the only guest) every single man I knew got smart and never invited me again.

What can I say, the groom pissed himself and wound up sleeping with no pants on with his head in his dads lap.

Why was I to blame for that? I even switched to Vodka for the night so he wouldn't get to toasted trying to keep up.

Oh and Jodi the Beloved...whenever three or more of you gather together it IS a hen party.

Charles Gramlich said...

A novel way to raise money. I'm glad it was so succesful!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun weekend Jods!

Heff said...

Ummmm......"WHAT" for a buck ?!??

Erik Donald France said...

Good methods for stacking up some cash. But bridesmaid bingo? Shudder ;->

JR's Thumbprints said...

I've done my share of bachelorette parties.

Let me explain: I chauffeured limos in my younger days. Nothing like being surrounded by a bunch of women as they get creative in delivering the tip money.

Sounds like you had fun.

rosegarden said...

best wishes to Laurel. Congrats to Niole on the beautiful addition to her family.
A few vodka drinks are always good!!!

jodi said...

Mark, the company of friends and family made the event fun. Even if it WAS a hen party...Charles-It was new to me too, but I think she was onto something! Kells-yes, I had fun in spite of myself! Heff-That pic of Laurel DOES look suspect..Erik-I abhor party games for prizes, and thankfully, so does my sister! JR-I'll bet you've seen it all as a driver for a shower party! Rose-The vodka helps ALL parties, as you well know! xo Enjoy your week, dear friends and thanks for droppin' by...xo