Sunday, October 31, 2010

Say it Loud (I'm Black and I'm Proud)


Once upon a time there was Sally, a small, unassuming little white Mustang. She had a petite engine and was generally a good little girl that could be convinced to go topless on occasion. She took me by the hand and broke me in gently. Owning her was a foregone conclusion, when one night at the now defunct Soup Kitchen Saloon, Sir Mack Rice and the boys popped in, took the stage, and treated us to an impromptu, 'Mustang Sally'! Only in Detroit--bless its little, damaged heart.....

When she was tired, I hooked up with her friend Black Betty. Now this bitch was Sally's alter ego. As bad as Sally was good, she had a little more guts and was not at all afraid to go topless--brazen hussy. She took me on more than one drag race on Gratiot and also got me a number of tickets. 'Ram a lam, the dang thing, gone wild'....

Thru Black Betty (ram a lam!), I was next introduced to Ruby Dee. An even throatier broad, to be sure. This was a girl loved showing off her assets and new blingbling. Flashing her special candy apple red 'lipstick' made her hard to miss. And she didn't take no shit from no one! She only garnered me one ticket, as I am FINALLY learning the speed lesson.
But now, there is a new sheriff in town. And HE is a bad ass! Meet Denzel, my first male car. Macho, black and beautiful, just like his namesake. Think Denzel in 'American Gangster', which is precisely where Ruby first laid eyes on him. Sleek, plush, handsome and with a deep, sexy growl--there is no mistakin' him for a girl. He is clean cut--sportin' a black on black suit with an 'eight shooter' in his pants. His big, ...uh...engine has 417 horses just dyin' to get out. And out they did come when Dane was hangin' and bangin' with him the other day, enjoyin' a little male bonding. Luckily the officer was understanding when it was explained that it was actually his Mommies car and it was new and he just wasn't used to it yet. Okay son, now get that bad boy home. Slowly. Whew! No tickies on the very first day...

Okay. So, I know I am nuts--and fully own it. My love of Stangs go way back to teenage years when I could NEVER afford one. I had to admire from afar. Years later, when I COULD afford one, I couldn't afford the insurance, as my driving record has never been stellar. Again, just a dream. Finally the stars aligned and all planets came together. That, and the fact that my favorite (and only) brother sells cars for Dean Arbour Ford (think northern lights) and makes it all possible for me. Thanks bro, I'll be careful. Promise. (fingers crossed behind back) xoxo

Happy Halloween to all. May all your tricks be treats!!!! Chocolate Kisses...muwah!!! PS. if ya haven't yet done it, check out Heff's blog this week (link on my site) for a Halloween giggle. Heff is a big (hallo) weenie, for sure!!!!

14 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Nice set of wheels!

Mona said...

That is quite a write! I enjoyed reading it thoroughly! :D

Congratulations for the new boy!

Wil said...

I would have named it "Dahlia" as I would have a little trouble throttling around in Denzel.

Erik Donald France said...

Oh Yayssss~ I'm "fixin'" to get a Mustang next year, if all goes as planned. I might go blue. Maybe she'll be named after a blues torch singer ;->

Bring back the Soup Kitchen! And "Mustang Sally"! We should recreate a Detroit French Quarter a la New Orleans -- it's older than NOLA, if anything was left from before when the Nain Rouge burned everything down ~way~ back in the day . . .

Anonymous said...

nice....only you can name a car and make it interesting reading. glad you love your car, we did too at the store. i think it has 412 hp, close enough, too much for you. be careful, amd have fun. thanks for the shout out. steve

the walking man said...

Give me a year and I'll build a MoPar to eat some horse, wanna bet titles?

Wil said...

Huh, how did I know The Walking Man was a Mopar man. I knew there was something else I liked about him.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Perhaps I should do a post on my Ford Taurus with the second generation airbags. I bought it for $800; gets me to work and back as well as those fishin' holes with my row boat in tow.

Anonymous said...

Rut row...Once you go black you never go back!

BJammim

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey gorgeous,

LOVE the new car -- I'm black, I'm proud indeed! You look gorgeous as always -- see you soon, honey! xo

jodi said...

Charles-thanks friend! Mona-Glad you got a kick out of my little tale! Wil- A boy named Dahlia? Nahhhhh. Why aren't you posting-I miss your crazy shit! Erik-What a great idea! Detroit could certainly use an inspired Blues area! Go for the Stang! Steve-I love the car. Thanks! Mark-Your on! Whats a Mopar? Willy-go blog something! JR- I NEVER professed to being thrifty...Ben-That's what your wife said! Rut Roh! Michelle-Thanks, Doll. C U soon! xoxo to all you indugent friends of mine.

Heff said...

Hey, once you go Mustang, you never go back !

the walking man said...

A MoPar is a Chrysler product. Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler. I think maybe a fully blown 318 with a three speed would do the trick, you know just to keep it fair I'd use a small block in maybe a '68 'Cuda.

rosegarden said...

love the new wheels. Always been partial to stangs. Love the rangoon red gem in my garage!!! The silver bullet was fun to drive!!! Enjoy DEnzel!!!!!