Friday, October 1, 2010

Ch Ch Ch Changes......


After years of talking about it, I finally did IT. No, not bungee jumping or roller derby, two of my big aspirations. I cut my hair. No, not just a slight trim or the addition of more bangs--but a real haircut. I don't prescribe to any new fashion trend or anything, actually more of an old fashion thing. Are any of you old enough to remember Joey Heatherton? Regular looking girl with a fabooo blond pixie haircut. I do not remember much of her acting, but I loved her in the Serta Perfect Sleeper ads in the 70's. Very sexy stuff for the times, "Buy a Perfect Sleeper. By Serta." I also can sing it perfectly--all throaty and breathlessly. Petula Clark andDusty Springfield are also two of my 'hair hero's' and had much the same look. However, I CANNOT sing 'Son of a Preacher Man' perfectly altho it is one of my favorite songs EVER, both Dusty's and the more modern Joan Osborne versions,--the same goes for 'Downtown'.

But I digress. Why are we women so hung up on our hair? I've heard it said that the hair loss was one of the most devastating aspect of cancer. So much of 'self' is tied up in our locks. As a hair dresser I have seen both the very brave and the very timid when it comes to hairstyles. I have mohawked, shaved bald, permed within an inch of it's life, mulletted, highlighted, bleached and anything else you can think of on willing clients. On myself tho, I tend to stay blond and medium to long length. I have flirted with short hair only a few times ever. A 'friend' recently posted on facebook a pic of me in the late 80's in all my big haired, permed glory. A sad time for women's hair for sure. How I was able to smile in the pic is beyond me. Must have been one hot camera guy....

So anyways, last week on my regular trim appointment, when Richard said, "when are we gonna cut this shit off?', I shocked him and said that now would be good. A devious smile appeared on his lips with an evil glint sparking his eyes, as he dug out his (gasp!) razor. Finally, He says. Are you nervous? No. Shut up and cut it. I did have to provide a pic because, Richard, in all his peachy youthfulness, was clueless on the 'Joey' look. No, not the dude from 'Friends', dumb ass! 28 minutes later and a 2 minute blow dry, Scissorhands spun me around for the reveal. Whoa--what a difference! Good or bad, of this I'm not sure. But I don't care, change was the goal. And all in all, family and friends have cheered the change.

The whole experience was exhausting. Lucky for me, I've got a Perfect Sleeper--by Serta.... xo

P.S. R.I.P Tony Curtis. Cool dude. A girlfriend was once rescued by Tony on the side of the road in Ft. Lauderdale, when her decrepit Mustang broke down. He was a total gentleman as he assisted her. And who could forget 'Stony Curtis'? Cool dude, indeed.







8 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

iPad and a new do'? Off the charts, Jodi! I dig the look -- it's like the 1920s flappers! And hey, any shots of the mohawk? Sounds very punk-style ;-> Rock on~~ Cheers!

the walking man said...

I am willing to bet that now I take more time with my hair than you do. No that will not change anytime soon Jodi.

Charles Gramlich said...

Lana and I have an agreement that neither of us gets our hair cut too short.

Heff said...

NOOOOO !!!!! Damn. Heff LOVES the long hair !!!

Oh well, it'll grow back...

Anonymous said...

I love you girl! I love how your mind works you have that edgy wild side to you. Long hair, short hair you gotta have mojo and everyone that knows you, knows you have mojo!!

Anonymous said...

Are those pink fuzzy handcuffs hanging off to the left above your head? LOL Gotcha gurl!

Jammin

rosegarden said...

love the new do!! You have talked about doing it forever!! I am sure you look fabulous!!!! I know can pull it off with style!!!!

jodi said...

Hey Erik, thank you for your always warm support. NOW for you hairy, sexy beasts-Mark, Charles and Heff, it's just hair and it'll grow back--or not. xo Jeano-you have always been there for me in all my quirkiness. Luv ya. Jammin-those are an eyemast you fool.(the handcuffs are in the top left drawer) Rose-I know! Glad you like it--it feels terrrific! xo to all you hair bears...xoxo