Sunday, April 3, 2011

Home Sweet Home...


I arrived home on April Fools Day after 5 weeks in the sunny Keys. The weather being the evil joke on all of us. Coming home after being gone that long is a very surreal experience. I have never, ever been away from home that long and somehow the Florida place never really feels like 'home'. I can't really explain it, but it's just not the same. Maybe the lack of any type of schedule is part of it, with daily happy hour being the only set thing. The first 3 weeks were spent helping with a kitchen/living area remodel and went by in an exhausted haze. (It turned out great, by the way.) I didn't get in the pool the whole timeand spent FAR too much time at Home Depot where I am now known as a regular. The next two weeks when I could enjoy the fruits of my labor, I did get in some boating and pool time. Still, it's just not home for me yet. I miss my home bed, with it's down comforter. My Macomb Daily crossword is like a religion to ,and Mickey and I go every morning like clockwork out to get it. Keys Citizen's just doesn't cut it. At home, I watch Fox news with coffee and puzzle while my head engages. Miami news isn't quite as gritty as Detroit news with all it's updates on gator attacks and boating reports. Sunrises at the condo are gorgeous, in fact so much, that I take 'em for granted. And my afternoon 'laydown' is easy here with our mostly gray days, but in Florida you kinda get that, "it's too nice to be inside guilt", altho I can combat that issue with a doze in the hammock or on my pool float. I always have promises to somehow work out, but the sultry weather just makes that impossible for me. How those people can run in that heat and humidity confounds my lazy ass! I can't wait to go to the gym tomorrow and re-connect with my homies-a routine that helps me with my Luigii indulgences, again, that I just can't get in Florida. I love all the fresh seafood, but sometimes a girl just has to have a 'National Coney Island' to help herself get right. Thank goodness, I won't be officially retired (no cracks from the peanut gallery, please) for some time. Just not ready yet. Paradise is paradise, but home is it's own Eden for me. xoxo P.S. someone who will remain nameless (WM) is holding me personally responsible for NOT bringing home the warm weather with me. FYI, I put in the order and it's due to get here sometime this week! I do what I can....xo

6 comments:

the walking man said...

Yeah i know Spring never comes until the day after the Tigers have their home opener.

But WOW it sure sounds like you deserve some pity for being in the tropical heat while we here flipped between the single digits and the 40's. I sure do pity you. NOT.

But I am glad your back and we do need to get coffee I am starting to accumulate too many free ones.

Charles Gramlich said...

It's interesting how some placees become home so quickly and others don't. I tend to think for most of us we can only have one "home" at a time.

JR's Thumbprints said...

As far as I'm concerned, you've already brought some of that sunshine back. Heck, I'll probably have to start an "honorary therapist" link on my blog instead of always isolating myself.

rosegarden said...

Welcome home!! There will come a time where it will feel like home but for now the lovely 4 seasons of Michigan are both a frustration and a joy not so easily given up!!! Tigers are in season now so it is all good!!!

Mona said...

hot and wet is something that I can't handle easily ( weatherwise) I love that bikini!

jodi said...

Mark-you called this one! Charles-I agree, your heart calls this one. JR-Let's do it again soon. I'll probably use the pic next week! Thanks for the compliment. Anytime. Rose-I never want to give up the four seasons-at least 3 of them anyways! Mona-thanks, altho it's really time I gave them (bikinis) up!