Sunday, April 24, 2011

Alleluia...

My dear old Gramma used to say that on Good Friday it would be dark and gloomy and maybe rain from the hours of 12:00 to 3:00, while our good Lord was suffering on the cross. And this year she was right again.


As kids we observed Lent in all it's formats and never ate meat on Fridays. Lots of creamed tuna on toast with peas, if I recall. We thought long and hard before choosing a sacrifice for the season that would be easy enough to actually do and hard enough to still count. We didn't always make it, but at least we understood the meaning of sacrifice. Good Friday then was a day of reverence and we spent it indoors doing a quiet activity or watching mass on the t.v. Mom would usually be ironing. At promptly 3:00 plus 2 seconds, we were sprung from our vigil and coincidentally, the sun usually broke thru as we busted out the door to play. Another sign that the sacrifice of respect could be over.


Then after the Easter morning hoopla of baskets and eggs, we were spit shined up and hauled off to Mass. For some of those years, women still had to cover their heads, and I loved the spring hats that were on display. In northern Michigan we always pushed the limits considering that the temps were usually quite chilly and possibly snowy. But my Mother always treated Easter as the biggest holiday of all. Even bigger than Christmas-which is, in fact, the Catholic way. We waited impatiently for the hour to pass to go home and get our hands on those chocolate bunnies that were waiting.


I guess looking back, lent and Easter were probably our first lessons in sacrifice and selflessness. Altho I do not officially practice the season in that way, I love the things it taught. These days hold very little sacrifice for me, and being selfless is even harder. Having a wonderful dinner with friends made the day perfect and well, the rest of it I'll just have to work on. I promise.. xo to all of you on this glorious day.








7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds a lot like my upbringing. I don't give up things for lent anymore either, but maybe I should. Next year I'm gonna think long and hard about it.

the walking man said...

Whats a good day for caffeine?

Mona said...

That is a cute bunny! I always wonder why Bunnies deliver eggs on Easter!

Anonymous said...

The tuna on toast sounds good.

Erik Donald France said...

Very sweet -- same back to ya, Jodi.

"easy enough to actually do and hard enough to still count" -- exactly true, always. Even a Syrian Muslim former brother-in-law wold fast mightily during Ramadan until the signal that he could eat, which he did -- a massive feast nightly, enough to carry through the entire next day's fast and do it all over again the following night. Human nature!

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'd certainly like to lob a few eggs in a certain directions, but then again ... that wouldn't be civilized.

Hope your Easter went well; mine certainly was interesting.

jodi said...

Charles-it's worth considering-don'tcha think? Mark-C U tomorrow! Mona-You are right! We should have chickens delivering eggs! BamaTrav-it WAS good. Tell Heff to let me on his blog!! Erik, human nature is right! We are all greedy sloths! JR-stay classy and if you DO hurl eggs, I want to come with you. I am very good a TPing too! xo Have a sunny week y'all, May is finally here. xo