Monday, June 20, 2011

Money, Money, Money....



A couple of years ago friends of mine, sisters, learned that they inherited quite a sizable estate. A family friend of theirs, that had little family, passed away and surprised the girls with a downfall of trust funds and property. Since the girls were barely teens, most of it is in trust and distributed incrementally. College and cars and expense worries are a thing of the past. Hell, they could even skip college-unless they just go for fun. (a route that I heartily recommend!)


So, how are they handling the new found wealth? By finishing high school and college, and working at their family business. They are the most goal oriented and polite girls you would ever want to meet and I am very proud of them.


Believe it or not, this past Saturday I learned that ANOTHER acquaintance has had a similar situation. Seems someone he was nice to, left him a large bag of money. He will probably retire early and enjoy life. Lucky dude. Hopefully some donations are in the wind, but I think it's too soon to tell. I can only imagine that it takes some time for the shock to wear off and reality to sink in.


And finally, I read today that a homeless man was found--after a two year search to accept his inheritance. Cool for him. I hope he can handle it and that it does, in fact, somehow improve his life.


So now, the big question, dearies. What would you do if you found yourself in an unexpected tax bracket? Donate? Retire? Travel? Save? I know it's an age old party question, but I still would like you to consider and let me know your answer.


Have a great week and remember, "frugal is such an ugly word"..... xoxo

9 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jodi, pretty nifty situations and responses. What would I do? First, agreed on "frugal is such an ugly word." I'd want to travel a lot, donate a lot and have a good time doing it all. Savings would not be high on the agenda. I'd keep my job unless the sum was very high . . .

the walking man said...

Turn myself into an S corporation to dodge all the taxes I could and just go one living as I live now.

Anonymous said...

Pay off bills. Spend more time with my boys. Treat my wife to a crave case from WhiteCastles and maybe switch to Michelob Ultra from Busch Light.

Benjammin

Charles Gramlich said...

At this point in my life, retire and write full time.

Anonymous said...

Disappear....with just one person.

rosegarden said...

Not sure what to do first. Take a vacation and then take care of my family!!! Make some donations and enjoy life!!! Hope good fortune comes to us all in one way or another!!

jodi said...

Erik, fist bump on the 'frugality'-it just doesn't suit us! I can see you traveling to all the cool places with the coolest of cocktails! Mark-I count on you to NEVER change no matter what! Ben-your wife is one lucky lady! And Busch Light cannot afford the hit! Charles-I can see you doing just that and spending more time with Miss Lana! BamaTrav-ooooooh, who's the lucky woman/man? Rose-That all makes sense, but would you slow down or speed up your life? Have a great week and get ready for the long weekend! xoxo

Mrs. Ivan said...

Oh that is such a loaded question; I would really like a real vacation, haven't had one in a very long time. I would of course donate to some wonderful organizations & pay off all my debts so hopefully there would be enough left to save for retirement and if it was actually BooKoo bucks I would quit my job & take care of my Husband and BABYSIT FULL TIME!! Didn't think I would ever say that but Hey; $$ lets you do alot of things you wouldn't dream of doing. Love ya lots :D

Anonymous said...

Ummm....that would be a WOMAN, hahaha. She's a lovely dentist.