Monday, June 6, 2011

Never Know...



I have always been intrigued by family heritage and have wanted to dig further into mine. So this weekend, I bought into Ancestry.com. I don't have any illusions of any family member 'starting out a slave, and ending up a businessman', but who knows? Maybe some blue blood or Scandinavian Queen is in my past! The site offers an international library for 2 weeks, free of charge. I got busy right away and spent roughly 12 hours before completing one of the 6 that I plan to research. The site has all info pretty much sorted out for you and all you need to start is very basic info-a few names and dates- and you are off and running. I started with my Dad's side and was not surprised to find out that both of my great grandparents came over from Norway. I was shocked to read their names on the ships manifest! Khristiansand, Norway is exactly where my Dad's fathers side originated and I plan to visit this port town someday.


After the short trip to Norway where the records dried up, I moved on to Dad's mothers side of the family. What a crazy discovery ending up in France in the fifteen hundreds! France has impeccably kept records that were easy to find and clear to read. I learned that I am squarely 1/4 Norwegian and 1/4 French on my paternal side. I am now delving into Mom's side and can't wait to see what that will bring.


If you have ever had the inkling, by all means go to Ancestry.com and check it out. It's absolutely amazing and very addicting. Don't say you haven't been warned. I honestly cannot stop doing it! I am going to do my son's father's side also and it's been rumoured in the family that he is a nephew of the great infamous Jesse and Frank James.


Gotta run, it's off to the wild, wild west for me and I will let y'all know how it shakes out. And by the way, Happy Birthday Dane! Have a glorious week! xoxo

5 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

I love this kind of research. So whadya know, quarter French and quarter Norwegian? I'm a quarter French and quarter Swedish. "10,000 Swedes crept through the weeds pursued by a lone Norwegian . . ." Old put down ;-> I'm aimin' to do one of those DNA tests in July, hopefully, that ties into the Genome Project. More may be revealed. . . Cool stuff all around!

Charles Gramlich said...

I've never really looked into this kind of thing, although some of my relatives have and I found their findings kind of interesting. Nothing earthshaking. I'm German, pretty much pure apparently.

the walking man said...

Hey yeah Happy Birthday Dane.

Jodi I have a sister that has been at that crap for thirty years and has it all mapped out the old fashioned way her book is (no kidding ) four incehes thick. I looked at it and wondered why she was giving it to me. I be American born and I know where all og my grandparents hail from further back than that *shrug* do na care lassie.

rosegarden said...

sounds like an interesting project. Would love to do that too. I looked up my grandfather a few years ago on the Ellis Island website. It was interesting to read all the people withe the same last name and when they came over. Enjoy!

jodi said...

Oh Erik, it's getting REALLY interesting. I will let you know the full results. I, too, plan to do the DNA thing! Charles-you may be suprised at what you would find. A Baron, maybe? Mark-But what if I'm a princess? xo Rose-You should do it. But not until you have LOTS of time to put into it. And I happen to know that your boss is a slavedriver!! Thanks for the comments, my loyal supporters. I lubs ja all... xo