Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blowin' in the wind...

When I was 5 and in kindergarten, the principal of our school came into our classroom and announced that our president had been shot. My teacher broke into tears but, of course, as children, we had a hard time understanding. I remember getting off the bus at my Grandmother's house where my Mom was painting her kitchen. As I burst thru the door as the little bearer of bad news, the reaction was less than serious. A drama queen at a very early age, warranted this response, I suppose. Eventually the television confirmed my news and my Mom and Grandparents were very distraught. I can remember it perfectly. Over the years, I have come to understand the brevity of the death of President Kennedy and it's effect on us personally as well as a country. Watching the funeral live-in black and white-furthered the incredible pain.


On 09-11-01, at 8:45 a.m. I was driving to the gym on what would be the last day of normalcy as we knew it. On the radio, I heard that the World Trade Center had been hit. 5 minutes later, I arrived to find everyone looking at the televisions, while the second plane unbelievably hit. It now was apparent that this was no accident. The images would be repeated thousands of times, but I will never forget that first horrific view, where I was, and who I was with. Gym acquaintances that I had very shallow relationships with, are permanently in my memory, as we shared those first images.


On the 10 year anniversary, I plan to take a moment from my usual personal 'dramas' and remember those who lost their lives, their grieving family's, and the fireman and others who put their lives at risk with the rescue. I am saddened but proud of all of them as well as our great country. In my own way, I have to learn and move on, taking note of everyone I love as well as our freedom.


But I will never forget.


















5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know when things like this happen I think these people started their day like they usually did, doing normal everyday things..you just never know do ya? Kiss and hug your love ones, Smile...no matter how your day with them starts out...be the giver..you might be seeing them for the last time.

Charles Gramlich said...

I remember when Robert Kennedy was shot. I came up to the truck. we were picking berries, and my dad was sitting in the truck crying as he listened to the radio. I'd never seen him cry before.

Erik Donald France said...

One of my very first memories was also the day JFK died, praying with my mother; and on 9/11, I was teaching the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand that started WWI, and had a TV on in my office, and saw the 2nd plane hit live. A Macomb teacher quit, and I began teaching there, as well, the next week.

Mona said...

We had two prime ministers assassinated in our country. Bombing terror attacks still continue :(

jodi said...

Jeano-I totally agree. Live it today cuz there are no guarantees. Charles-Isn't that wild? It was a very sad time. Erik-Perfect recall! Now get back here and teach again! Mona-how horrible. And what terrible stress to be living under. xo To all, be grateful for every day we have to be with the ones we love. Life is so very fragile. xoxo