Monday, September 5, 2011

Dog Days are Over...



Happy Labor Day! First of all, I want to apologize for my lack of blog visits this week. A family emergency has kept me too busy to read and check in with all my favorite blog friends. Hopefully this week things will free me up to enjoy your escapism and wisdom.


So the late starting, extremely hot, summer is winding down. I am thrilled to have shut off the air conditioning and have opened the windows for the lovely fall breeze and sound of the crickets at night. At the beach house, some of the leaves are starting to turn and I welcome the rich shades that will soon be upon us. And the glorious smell of sun dried orange leaves! School starts tomorrow and that means that the daily 2:30 p.m. 'carmageddon' at the end of my street will be in full craziness-note to self.


My flowers are looking tired and I will soon replace them with Mums before putting my yard to bed for the winter. My usual fall house re-org projects loom overhead for the colder or rainier days ahead. In addition, I plan to paint all tree doors on the house-hopefully with help from my Mom, who is a painting machine! In addition to spending time with my Little Sister, I'm going to do some volunteer work at the Cass Community project. I will continue to plug away at my Ancestry.com work. (It's getting VERY interesting!)


So much for my planned 'labor'. I will give up lazy days on the boat, and pack up my bathing suits and sandals, in favor of warmer clothes and suede boots. Shopping will be necessary to update the closet-one can never have enough boots!


However, there is one thing that the season will not affect, and that's the power of a good Bloody Mary-or three-with friends. Now if I can just discipline myself to enjoy said cocktail(s) AFTER I've done one of my fall projects! Or not....

7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Our temps are very nice here right now because of the rain. we'll see what happens when it dries up.

the walking man said...

Whoaaaaaaaaaa there skippy. I am not ready for any leaves to be anything but green or any temperature less than 82 and define for me what a bad bloody may is like?

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jodi, cheers and a Blood Mary, indeed ~~ hope the emergency passes!

Anonymous said...

I know! My sister and I took advantage of the beautiful day we had on Saturday. We threw on our swimsuits, grabbed our swimming tubes and went up to the beach. The two of us just floated around in the hot sun truly enjoying the last really good beach day! We just wanted to have that visual in our minds to keep us going on those really cold winter days! Hope you are good and at peace.

rosegarden said...

Hope the family emergency wasn't too serious. Let me know. It was a rainy labor day weekend around the house. Back to school for the kids!! Have a great week and get your painting overalls out!!

jodi said...

Charles-when I see Louisana weather reports, I always think of you and Lana! Mark-I know. Sigh. But fall is inevitable! There is no such thing as a 'bad' Bad Bloody Mary! Erik-I persevere. But Bloody's do help..Jeano-It's those exact days that keep me sane. Thanks for all of your support.x Rosegarden-Hopefully things are on the upswing. You know the exact overalls I will be sportin'! xo
To all of you, YOU are also part of what keeps me going in times of trouble. My own little 'bridges over troubled water', and I love you all for it. xoxo

Cheryl said...

Sissy, it's so sad to me that Labor Day has come and gone already.... it seems like we didn't get to spend nearly enough time together this summer and I know that in the fall and winter, we are lucky to see each other at all :( We will have to change that this year! Miss and love you! xoxoxoxo