Monday, November 21, 2011

Good Feeling...



The affair started out innocently enough. No one was meant to get hurt. There was nothing clandestine about this tryst-too many people were involved! There were troubles, to be sure, but in hindsight, I would not change a thing-about The Bathroom Affair.


Yes, the relationship I was in with my bathroom had grown old. It simply was not thrilling me anymore. It was looking very tired and misunderstood. Glancing around at the room, I knew I needed a change. And here's where I started my dalliance with decorating. Just a mild flirtation....


At Decorator World, armed with a giant Timmy Ho's coffee, I perused the dizzying array of wallpapers and drank in their lovely smell that combines fresh paper and glue. I antagonized deeply before stepping out with a chartreuse and silver and faux ostrich print that surely will cost me a fortune and drive me to drink(more). The order was placed and it was game was on! I spent an ungodly time stripping off old paper and patching, sanding, priming and prepping. While precariously perched on the toilet tank, I somehow cracked something, and now the toilet has to be replaced. Damn! That was unplanned. I also slipped in old wallpaper glue and broke my toe. It throbbed painfully during entire process. Of course, the now dull white ceiling would have to go and I strained my mustard applying sparkly silver cloud paint on that bad boy. Did I mention that my ceilings are 8 foot something high? And my toe was killing me? Crazy stretching for a short chick. My Mom-the queen of all things paint and wallpaper, was enlisted, and showed up with necessary tools of the trade to help.

Things were going good until the inevitable happened. With fresh ceiling and walls in place, the counter top was looking d-u-l-l by comparison. So, off I go to about a thousand granite stores before settling on a new chunk of stone. Naturally, the sinks were the next thing to be updated along with new faucets. And wouldn't crown molding be just the thing to set off the new walls? Back to Lowe's I go. Denzel would have to go topless in 40 degree weather to fit in the 12 footers, so my neighbors Jeep was commandeered to procure said molding. And then on to Bed, Bath and Beyond for matching towels and rugs. Online I ordered new art. Where will the madness end?


So currently the plumber, granite installer dudes, (who educated me on the delights of Sicily) and crown molding guy are finished. I can finally get on with my life and end this obession with my now pretty bathroom. And it all started with a little wallpaper.


Wonder what a chandelier would look like in there?..

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! xo








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was sooo funny. I know things like this can turn into monster projects. But I will say once its done I love it! Hope you have a great holiday and sending my love and all things warm and cozy to my buddy. I hope he is well and in a happy place.

the walking man said...

That room sounds like it was set up to scare the crap out of anyone who went in there.

Charles Gramlich said...

I thought I was the only one who had a relationship with their bathroom. I'm afraid mine is not as pleasant as yours. :)

JR's Thumbprints said...

You can sink a ton of money into a bathroom. I replaced the entire subfloor on my previous digs.

jodi said...

Jeano-All good things to you, too, darling. I will pass along your love. Mark-Yup, it's a combo of the black hole and the money pit! Charles-I hear ya, buddy. J.R.-absolutely! But I do love it! xo to all of you Dolls. xo

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Good feeling indeed.

You write so well about what most people would consider the commonplace.