Sunday, January 22, 2012

Fever...

Okay, after enduring a flu shot and then a pneumonia vaccine, I am currently suffering with a sore throat from hell. I thought flu shots were only for 'old' people until my doc adjusted my attitude moments before plunging in a giant syringe of what I suppose was the flu virus itself in my bicep. I almost crushed the hand of the poor nurse standing there to help me endure the agony. I swear the shot was worse than anything flu like that I have ever suffered. At least during the flu I can sleep!

Then two weeks later on an unrelated follow up appointment, I was again notified by the same doc that due to my history of pneumonia, he really recommends the vaccine to prevent it. The same poor nurse was called in for the hand holding/crushing duty as once again, a giant needle was jabbed in my arm. Said nurse indicated that her bruised hand had only just healed from our last rendezvous. Tuff rocks, Cookie! Yogic breathing and some some transcendental meditation helped me to keep from needing the smelling salts. With tears streaming down my face, I did pretty well, all in all, considering my fear of needles. With my doc admonishing me for being one of the biggest babies of all time, I was on my way secure in the knowledge that I was going to have a sick free winter.


Yeah, right. For days now I have had that thing I call the 'breathe, breath, tickle, hack' going on. It goes something like this: so, you breathe, breath again, it tickles, you hack up a dry cough, and then start the whole process over again. It's quite annoying and very time consuming. I've avoided taking an over the counter med and instead have been gargling with warm sea salt water. It soothes temporarily until the b,b,t,h comes back in full force. The slight headache is an added bonus, and just to add insult to injury, one moment I'm chilly and the next a little sweaty. Not a pretty picture, I assure you.


And that afternoon nap that stretched out a little too long will come back to haunt me as I try to sleep tonight. Being bug-eyed awake takes away from the escape that is usually found in my comfy nest. I think I may break down and take a Tylenol Cold in hopes of clunking out dead to the world. Maybe I will make a hot toddy with honey and sugar like my parents used to give me when warm whiskey was the accepted was to hush a little cougher into la la land.



And while I slam the magic elixir, maybe I'll toast to the fact that at least I will not get the flu or pneumonia! Now could someone please come up with a common cold vaccine? My nurse's hand should be ready for action again. I mean really, we've put a man on the moon for heaven's sake-can we cure the common cold? Stay healthy my friends and pray that this sick chick feels better tomorrow. (germ infested) kisses and hugs.




6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm just starting to get a little dry cough. Not enjoying it. I need a shot of whiskey, stat! :)

the walking man said...

Picture this..A fat hairy man in an examining room surrounded by three females. The doctor stands in front. why i don't know but she did...a nurses assistant on either side of me counting 1...2...3...plunge. Both shots at the same time. I had to laugh because the youngest one thought she was in deep shit because they made give me the bigger needle. I wonder if it was funny when i asked her to kiss my boo boo for me. I know my doctor disn't cuz she hit me upside the head because the old lady said she could anytime she wanted to.

Anonymous said...

Polish Tony has some of that shredded garlic Absolute vodka. Talk about chasing away FLU's and vampires too.

Bjammin

Erik Donald France said...

Ah, what a suck start to Chinese New Year ~~! Hope everyone feels better. Here, been imbibing dust from the dustbowl, but so far, have managed to avoid the illnesses that seem to be swirling all over geographically.

A stiff drink may be required to keep the bugs at bay ~~

rosegarden said...

I am pretty sure I am the biggest baby when it comes to needles!!!! That is one of my biggest fears! Love that comforting feeling "at least you wont't get the flu or pneumonia!!" Not!!!! Sometimes the fix is worse than the illness!! Hope you enjoyed your nap!! Could use one myself!! Been dealing with a lot of sinus hedaches with this warm winter!! Ready for spring!!

jodi said...

Charles-get the bottle-quick!! Mark-You are a nurses nightmare, ya big goof. Ben-I have had Tony's vodka and I can honestly say there is a fine line between cure and kill. Erik-stay healthy, and drink to your good health! Rose- I usually do well with regular shot needles; however, these were needles of the big, giant variety! January is almost over, only two more months of winter left!!! HooooRayyyyy! Have a wonderful week, dearies. xoxo