Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Lemon Song...

Ah, January. No obligations and time to recover from the recent ones. My first week of sugar and booze detox is under my belt and I feel great. Not that you would guess such restrictions are in place by my picture where I am enjoying my two favorite food groups-alcohol and sugar. A lemon drop martini with a sugared rim perfectly fits the bill. Ahhhh... such fun while it lasted..sigh...

This month, traditionally, I like to hole up and get caught up on movies and books-a respite from the celebrations in December. The cold weather makes it so easy to just chill at my fireplace with a good choice of entertainment and spiked hot cocoa. Oh, wait..no booze!

My darling Michelle (Michelle's Spell) treated me to her latest, "Make Yourself Small" and I read it thru immediately. The fact that we are friends makes it a much deeper read for me and I can picture her face and imagine her voice all thru the work. It's rare to read something and actually have a relationship with the author. Michelle has always let us know just exactly what she chooses and keeps a very large part of herself a mystery. Don't get me wrong-its not a bad thing. Quite the contrary, it's very intriguing. In this age of over information and TMI, I find it totally refreshing. But in her writing, she reveals a little bit of herself, if you look closely. She is unlike anyone else I know and so is her writing. My other friend Jim, (J.R.'s Thumbprints) did a wonderful review on her book and I would encourage you to go over to Jim's to check it out. Other comrade, Mark, (The Walking Man) did the cover review and totally nailed it. I am so privileged to be able to call all three of these writers, friends.

So, excuse me for now. I am going get back to my winter indulgence. Gotta check out my reader or the tube for a little escape time. Something sweet and intoxicating should work nicely! (iwillnothavealemondrop iwillnothavealemondrop) Wish me luck, j xo

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Make yourself small should be coming my way soon. I've ordered it but haven't heard it is shipped yet.

rosegarden said...

Happy new year!! I will have to fill you in on the vacation over a cocktail while wearing my new boots from Nashville!!! Enjoy a little hybernation snuggling with all the pets!! Step away from the sugar!!!

jodi said...

Charles-you are gonna love it! I have an autographed copy. Rosegarden- first, thanks for saving me from having one comment to answer this week! Yes, I want to hear all about it! New boots? yesyesyes....xo Have a fabulous week, you two! xo