Sunday, February 19, 2012

Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves...

I have always had a romantic fantasy involving 'Gypsies'. Swarthy men with long, curly hair and beautiful, exotic women with swirling skirts and big gold hoops and cool head scarves. Children that have large brown eyes, running barefoot and free and getting their education from experience. Covered caravans and smoldering campfires. A large cauldron simmering and feeding them at times when hunger naturally occurs. Dancing and throwing dice and making a living in any way they can. And then moving on with no attachments to anything. To me, there is something very appealing about my perceived view of that freedom.



So when the very exotic looking woman said to me, "Dahrling...let me read your palm.", there was no way I could resist. She had the requisite long, black hair with the pools of deep brown/black eyes. Her accent was enticing. I asked her where she was from and when the answer was Romania, I had to know if she was a 'Gypsy'. Yes, she replied. And she was a 6Th. generation reader. (Can you hear the loud, sucking noise as she reeled me in?) She also did chakra cleaning and balancing. Okay, I am SO about this..Ten dollars did not seem like a lot of money to hear your destiny.


As I sat down and reached for my wallet, Lauren (her name was Lauren!) assured me that I could pay after we were done. There goes my fantasy of 'silver crossing her palm, first!' She gently took my palm in her hand, with her long nails and bejeweled fingers, and studied it intently before drawing a long breath. I will not bore you with her reading as I am sure it only interests me. Naysayers will note that most of the reading was of a generic type, applicable to anyone. BUT, Lauren had no idea that I am, in fact, a Cancerian with all of the most typical 'crab' qualities. She nailed some of the issues I have perfectly. Also noting that the second chakra is the one I identify with the most. You can imagine her satisfaction as I pulled up my shirt and down my jeans (only a tiny bit) to reveal my tattoo of the second chakra!! She did not even register surprise-rather a tiny, smug smile crossed her face. The rest of my reading went on with some future things for me to watch out for, thus ending our session.


It isn't very often that you get to just walk up on, and live out a little 'fantasy'. My modern day, Americanized Gypsy did nothing to dispel my ideas. I am still smiling about my experience.


Thoughts, dear friends? Any personal experiences of the like? I love to hear about them! Enjoy your week and remember that Tuesday is Fat Tuesday, so get out and have a paczki! xoxo

8 comments:

rosegarden said...

my mom had a close friend from Greece that read her cards. I was always interested to hear how acccurate she was. She was a great lady who I enjoyed spending time with as a child. She was the closest thing to a gypsy I got/ She had a wonderful Greek accent. Fat Tueaday is coming,thank goodness I am not a big donut fan!!

Charles Gramlich said...

I really like that Cher song, btw. I find the images of gypsies and the wagons and campfires exotic as well. I certainly wanted to run off to the gypsies as a kid.

Erik Donald France said...

I also love Gypsies and that smoldering mischievous persona. A Gypsy woman grabbed my arm at a carnival and literally pulled me in to work a stand for a couple weeks when I was about 15. Yeah, Gypsies are cool and a bit dangerous.

Anonymous said...

A gypsy read my palm a long time ago.... she chuckled and said "how is single life?"

B-Jammin

Anonymous said...

Stevie Nicks! Our modern day gypsy woman. Absolutely love her!!! Hot, sexy, mysterious!! The girls I use to work with raved about this lady that read palms, so I thought what the heck I will check it out for myself. She was pretty spot on about me. Spoke alot about my granddaughter and grandson.I didn't look like a grandma then and that she hit on them, really impressed me. That they would stay very close to me thru out my life. Liked how she said it too, she said she saw my granddaughter standing at my left shoulder and my grandson standing at my right shoulder. Oh yeah I almost forgot she said where you are working now, is where I was meant to be, a perfect fit. I would work there until I retired. That was for you and Randy! She was dead on about me. My sister went and she didn't connect with her at all. Over all I would say for me it was a postive experince. Never went again.

goatman said...

As someone famous once said: "The medium is the message"
I am glad that you let this person into your life for awhile.

We need more free spirits and Gypsies.

the walking man said...

Never met a gypsy that didn't have their world on their back and our fortunes were ours to make at the time...all in all i would say my gypsy worked out well for me. And i spent more tha $20.

jodi said...

Rosegarden-cool for Mumsie! You NEED a fresh, peanut donut! Charles-I totally wanted to run off with the gypsies who sometimes camped nearby our house. So much more exciting than my small town world! Erik-I want to hear more about your gypsy encounter. Yeah, they are cool and a bit dangerous, and I'm drawn to that like a moth to the flame! Oh Benjammin'-she probably recognized your date-Miss Michigan! Jeano-So you had a cool experience too. Isn't it just so interesting? Goatman-welcome and I totally agree. Wouldn't life just be all that much more interesting? Mark, by being a 'walking man' you are kind of qualified for gypsy status. What's that about $20.00?? Love to all you readers that share your stories with me. I love your perspectives! Muah, muuahhh, muahhh. (thats gypsy for kiss kiss kiss!)