Sunday, February 12, 2012

Where do Broken Hearts Go?...




Drugs confound me. As the news of Whitney's death (R.I.P.) became public, I don't think that anyone expected that her demise would be anything but the drug abuse that she struggled with. Demi Moore has managed to get herself into rehab with some cheap adolescent drug curiosities. And almost weekly I shudder as I perversely read obits describing some loved 26 year old that died suddenly at home. And we have all seen the hungry guys on I94 and Moross, for example, that have surely fallen to the grip of drugs. They haunt me. I have personally attended two funerals, both drug related, in the same family that crushed their loved ones. These tragedies were so very deep that there were absolutely no words of comfort for their families. Completely wasted lives.



So what the hell is going on here? We now know that addiction is a disease just as much as cancer, heart disease, obesity, etc. Having money certainly does not make you immune, but rather affords you easier access. Growing up in the 70's afforded me a very close look at drugs-even in northern Michigan. We had numerous deaths by overdose in our high school. But most of us were scared spitless of heroin. Now it is epidemic and the number one drug abused in suburban high schools. Unreal. Over the counter synthetic drugs-Spice, Meow, etc. are sold legally as harmless highs when, in fact, they can be totally brain damaging. I personally know a young man who is permanently brain damaged from smoking spice cigarettes. Very, very sad.



War on drugs? What a joke. The "Dare" program was pulled from schools due to it's ineffectiveness. They can't even keep drugs out of our prisons. And border control is laughable. My big question is when did people stop being afraid? And just what, exactly are they escaping from? Does reality really suck that badly? What about the value of our lives and or our health? Beats the hell outta me. But something is different and no one seems to be able to understand or stop it.



Nancy Reagan, a very unlikely spokesperson, said 'just say no'. Simple for sure, but it's a start.



Stay healthy my friends and may this tragedy escape you and yours. xoxo


P.S.-Two more days to get your cards and such. Celebrate your love! xoxo

4 comments:

the walking man said...

I stopped giving those guys on 7 & 94 money and cigarettes when I saw them taking a break on their whatever phone, 3g, 4g, but a lot more expensive than mine.

I think the whole using drugs to escape from reality thing has gone the way of the myth Jodi. People get wrecked because it feels physically good until it doesn't anymore but by then the body craves the shit not to feel great or high but just to function.

You know down here in the slums, except for the guys my age, no one uses heroin anymore. Crack is cheaper but they already learned last generation what the bubanites are finding out now. That shit only stays fun for a month then you're screwed and will do anything however many times a day it takes to keep booting more.

Heroin was the only drug I ever did that actually scared me off because the one time I hit it,I liked it too damn much. I may be crazy and shit but I am not insane.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've seen it too, the destruction caused by drugs. It is so prevalent around us and I don't understand it either. We are engaged as a race in a huge chemical experiment on ourselves.

Anonymous said...

I know this is really so sad. Hits people from all walks of life. More money they have the "better" the drug. I feel so bad for the family. On much lighter note just wanted to tell you whatever you are doing keep it up! You looked awesome last week.

jodi said...

Mark, I usually run thur McDonald's and hand the food out my car window to the guy. I still do not understand the need for that kind of 'feel good'. I have found many other ways to be happy. And yes, you are a bit crazy-but I like you that way! xo Charles-I have found books to be the best escape ever. And nobody gets hurt. Jeano-I did? Cool. It's hateful, but I thank you for your support-in ALL ways. We love you. Y'all have a great week. xo