Sunday, February 26, 2012

Cold as Ice...

As a hairdresser, if my scissors were not moving, I was not making money. When I sold furniture, if I did not 'move' the sofa, my commission check sucked. And when my career was in food and beverage, (stay with me here..) if I didn't properly kiss up a little, my tip was lousy.

So, the point I'm trying to illustrate is this: does the weatherman/meteorologist take a pay hit when he is TOTALLY wrong about the weather? A quick trip to Kroger last Thursday afternoon proved to be a lesson in frustration as the place was jammed and all anyone could talk about was the upcoming 8 to 10 (inches) we were supposed to brace ourselves for. Milk and bread and such were just about flying off the shelves, as Nervous Nellie's planned for the worse, stocking up on provisions like we were Laura Ingalls Wilder preparing for a big storm in a Little House on the Prairie! One would think that the man with the traveling cart of stuff wouldn't be able to make his rounds till spring!! Gasp!! Better buy extra flour and cinnamon! After all, mind you, this was not a storm 'watch', but a full blown storm 'warning'.

And how about the children who maybe got to stay up just a little later than normal when they were assured by the weather dude that school would likely be cancelled, providing them with a nice long weekend with extra time to finish their homework? Completely duped, thank you very much! Visions of lounging about and making a snow fort was out the window, where coincidentally the snow was SUPPOSED to be! I know at least one mommy who almost had to personally call Chuck Gaidaca to get the assurance that there was, indeed, school as scheduled originally before he planted the Blizzard of 2012 idea in their little heads.

And what about this-Alpena was not predicted to be part of the storm, but at 12:00 p.m. the snow was falling so heavily that the kids were let out immediately, providing THEM with a little bonus time off! I guess a 200+ mile error was acceptable....

Back to my original question. Should the persons responsible for this weather snafu be held accountable for thier error in prediction throwing otherwise normal folk into a fearful frenzy? How about a little deduction in pay for error? Or a 'three strikes, you're out kinda policy? Trust me on this, if I were to screw up your haircut or bring you steak instead of lobster, surely my pay would directly be affected by my gaffe!

In my next go around, I think I'm going to be a weather person. And my first prediction for a February day in Michigan would be 79 and sunny!

Enjoy the rest of the week-we have an extra day! I will be in sunny Florida next week, where it surely WILL be 79 and sunny. Love to all of you, sweet readers. xoxo

6 comments:

the walking man said...

Solet me get this straight...you're complaining because my wife didn't have to shovel 10" of snow? Naw that kind of complaint goes into the circular file in the land of no plow on any street at any time.

Besides they thought it was April 1st, not knowing how to read a calendar should be a major deduction in compensation though.

So where in Florida are we going?

Charles Gramlich said...

The weatherperson should be docked pay only if it inconveniences me.

Anonymous said...

I know I went to bed early and got up early took a shower looked out the window to NOTHING! What the heck got to the office two hours early, not my usual one hour. But still I could have had an extra hour of sleep. I love it when you say you are off to Florida, that means spring is around the corner. Have a great trip!

rosegarden said...

I can't deny I do love a good peanut donut!!!

Sarah was among those very bummed out children that was sooo hoping for a snow day!!! Gotta love the crazy weatherman. I am of the philosophy of i beleive it when I see it!! Have a wonderful time in FLorida. Have a few cocktails for me!!!!

JR's Thumbprints said...

The more education one has, the less accountable they are; heck, look at Wall Street.

jodi said...

Mark, of course I did not want your honey to have to shovel snow! Just lookin' for accountability. Long Key is my spot till April. x Charles-That is so very much the case. You just don't dare plan around the prediction-maybe the oppposite would be a better plan. Jeano-I know you hate to drive on those bad roads! C U in April. Rosegarden-Poor Sarah, I used to hate that too! Cheers to ya with a cold vodka! Love to all of you and Michigan is on it's last month of winter. Yee Haw! xoxo