Monday, November 19, 2012

Postcard from Paris...

I love to paint and have a blast trying out new ideas with my little sister.  But I am a horribly inept artist and truly wish I was better at it.  I had my chance once and I blew it.  Let me tell you the story...
 
Once upon a time, while partying in sunny Key West a Michigan girl met a handsome guy.  He buys her a glass of wine and introduces himself.  After two nights and many cocktails, on the last night of vacation, the man says, "Come with me to Paris, I'll teach you to paint.  We'll stay at my villa and paint and drink wine."  The man says that he has a small gallery here on the island, as well as one on Nantucket and one in Paris.  He hands her a business card that verifies all of this.  She cannot believe her ears.  These are words the girl dreams of.  (In fact, she still dreams of.)  But she has a life and is flying out tomorrow back to the real world.  It would be impossible at this time-and she can barely wrap her head around it.  He says the offer is open. 
So where does that leave the girl with the dream?  She has realized that her reality IS her dream.  No regrets. It's all in the timing.  But sometimes when she attempts to paint, the thoughts of real lessons from a real artist, in Paris, creep in.  She smiles and sighs.  It's a lovely dream, and you can't take that away from her.  Ever.  And that's the reality.  xo                                                                  

2 comments:

the walking man said...

You do know honey that there are a lot of real artists here who would be happy to have you and your little sister as students. No dream should ever go untested, especially because you evaluated your own talent.

jodi said...

Mark, your consistant support of me and my efforts touches my heart. You are right, but, sigh, Paris.... xoxo Thank you again. Love u, j xo