Monday, November 5, 2012

Begin Again...

Tomorrow is the big day.  Thank God.  It will soon be all over.  The presidential race 2012.  The godawful, insulting and mudslinging ads will be off the television.  The signs marring my street will be taken down-I hope.  No one will be knocking at my door on Sunday afternoon when I am still in p.j.'s reading the Free Press.  And please, oh please, my phone will stop ringing with calls designed to 'help' me decide.  Facebook will go back to it's normal minutiae without everyone banging their own personal political bongo.  Such a day it promises to be..

After my much and always needed coffee, I will probably hit the walking path allowing the working peeps to have time to pull the lever.  After fortification (20 grams of protein within 20 minutes of my workout), I will shower up and head two blocks over to the polls.  I don't know why, but the polls always make me feel like I am doing something illegal. The officer is going to arrest me.  Fraud will be my crime.  Can't explain it, it just is.  My gut starts churning as soon as I walk in.   I will flop down my licence and prove my identity.  When it's my turn, I will go into the booth and immediately start to sweat when I realize that I did not study the proposals well enough to make a valid stand.  Proceeding on to the big stuff, I will curse that I cannot split my ballot as I am more a 'people voter' than a 'party voter'.  Choices made, I will hope that the curtain opens and I have done everything right.  That's right.  Curtains.  Because these choices are meant to be personal.  Private.  With a big exhale and great relief, I will make my way out to Denzel Washington and zoom away, happy in the knowledge that I have done my American duty-which after all, is a priviledge.

After dinner, which will probably be out, I will turn on and tune in to the election results.  May the best man win and may some of what he promises turns out to be true. With luck and prayer, may our county flourish under his leadership. 

That's how it works, right? 

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I just hope whoever loses that their fanatic followers will accept it and move the hell on.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jodi, you nailed it for election season and the finale~!

I muted 95% of the ads that made it through my outer defense . . .

rosegarden said...

Amen Charles!! I look forward to election day unfortunately for the wrong reasons!! I am in total agreement with you !! hate that my mail is clogged with propaganda, my phone keeps ringing and the tv is loaded with unpleasant political ads!! The only important part of the day is to vote! I did sweat the choices this election season. There was so much controversy. Now it is time for our country to heal and move forward.

jodi said...

Charles-Yesyesyes, agreeagreeagree! Erik-Can we just go to Italy and sigh over American politics? Or at least Ferndale.. rosegarden-in four years I am going to Italy with Erik Donald France to drink wine and discuss books, movies and love! Love to all of you. xoxo