Monday, December 17, 2012

My Father's Eyes...

 What do you think of when you think of my Dad?  I will remember him as a loving son, brother, husband, father, uncle and grandfather.  He was a salesman, veteran, township clerk, baseball coach and Tigers fan. These are the roles that define him and he was very good at them...

  But the very first thing that comes to MY mind is food and family.  Yes, the Norwegian giant did love his food.  Mornings meant news, coffee and Connie's Cafe.  The girls at Connie's knew to keep it hot and keep it coming.   As kids, my Dad always made us the biggest and best Sunday breakfasts, smiling as we gobbled it up.  Popcorn was also big in his world.  Real big.  Dad would cook it up the old fashioned way on the stove, with lots of salt and a whole stick of butter.  We kids would stand by with our bowls at the ready for his famous popcorn, leaving the whole buttery, sticky mess for Mom to deal with in the morning. 

Dad loved Mom's cooking praising her always for meals and her baking.  He also blamed her cooking for his weight gains.  But, we would remind him,  our Mom never had a job at Bud's Donuts or McDonald's!  We loved busting him for wrappers in his truck along with pickle bologna skins and saltine crumbs.   Dad loved heading up to Gramma Iola's house after dinner to visit and have a nice bowl of vanilla ice cream with Hershey's chocolate.  He loved going to Aunt Dixie's where the coffee was always on and many sweets were made available.  His niece Nikki's kids were his very special treat.   I loved to spoil him at my house and Randy always had a big Manhattan waiting for him when he arrived.  I would cook dinner and he always made sure to leave room for my hot fudge brownie sundaes.  The recent thanksgiving at the Hensel camp made Dad very happy.  Family get togethers and food were the important things and Dad loved to laugh at the dinner table. 

So on this day, I want to remember all the happy times.  The angels better put the coffee on, the big guy is here-wing size, extra large. xo  Rest in peace Dad, we love you and will miss you. xo                

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Jodi, what a beautiful blog entry in your Dad's honor. I only met him a few times but from what I remember, he was pretty great. I know he will be missed by your family but he is pain free and in a better place. I'm sure he will be sharing a few drinks with my Mom and Dad behind the pearly gates! Though he is gone from this earth, he is forever in your heart and in your memories. Love you! xoxoxo

Charles Gramlich said...

Beautifully said. Brought a smile to my face. you gotta love a guy who loves life that way!

rosegarden said...

Wonderful tribute Jodi. I will always remember all the weekends I spent up north with your family. Your dad always made me feel so welcome. We had many a nice conversation over breakfast and coffee!! Your dad sitting in HIS chair watching Tiger games. He did give good hugs too!! He was a wonderful grandfather as well. I enjoyed your dad's drop in visits at work when he had driving jobs down here!! I had to make sure he had his coffee for the drive home!! Cherish your memories . They will be your comfort. God Bless.

the walking man said...

Hang in there Kiddo.

jodi said...

Cheryl, I love you and can't wait to see you soon. Your support means everything to me. xo Charles-that was my Dad! rosegarden-He loved you, Rose. Thanks for loving him. xo Mark-your call meant everything to me. love u. xo To all of you- you make me feel able to go on. Thank you so much. xo

Erik Donald France said...

Jodi, a sweet remembrance.

Solace and peace be with you and yours.

Unknown said...

Jodi - Love to you and your fam. Such a wonderful post on your father.