Monday, February 11, 2013

Snowblind...

Urban legend has it that the Eskimos have 100 words to describe snow.  How very intriguing, delightful and amazing.  Recently, during our latest snowfall, I realized that I have a few words of my own.  Growing up in northern Michigan necessitated these descriptions to define how the snow would impact our lives.  I still look at snow in this way. 

Last week I was treated to my favorite vision/version of snow.  This one I call 'glitter snow'.  It is best seen at night with an outside light to illuminate it.  The accumulation on the ground as well as the falling flakes actually appear coated in glitter-sparkly and magical.  Kind of like my world in a giant snow globe with huge flakes slowly, ethereally drifting down.  Also it's very reminiscent of my old disco days.  For an awesome moment, you can even forget that you are freezing...

'First snow' is that light skiffling that we get early in the season where it's still a novelty and we are temporarily transfixed by it as if it's the first time we've ever experienced the event.  Generally this snow does not last, leaving us oddly disappointed.

There is 'snowman snow', which obviously is the type needed to roll 3 balls, stack them and add accessories.  This is the type of snow we hope for during 'snow day' snow, when we would have the whole day to accomplish the creation.

'Powder snow' obviously makes for the best skiing conditions and beats the hell out of 'fake snow' which the machines make, and are like hard, icy pellets.

'Driving snow' has the distinction of falling in a driving way plus making actual driving treacherous.
A close cousin is 'blowing and drifting' snow, which usually brings us the prayed and danced for day off from school or work.

'Spring snow' is that freakish storm that happens after we've had a few 60 degree days in April.  Such snowfall is met with irritation and rolling eyes.  Often it catches us off guard in say-a tee shirt or bathing suit, shivering.  Uttering oaths seems to relieve the frustration a bit.

Lastly, my all time favorite that even beats out glittery snow-'melting snow', when it's going away and the sun promises spring.  That followed by summer and fall and the inevitable 'first snow' of winter.

Maybe the Eskimos can add my 8 words for snow to their Inuit language.  What do you think?  Do you have a word for snow?  Don't answer that Mark (The Walking Man)!!   This is a family friendly blog!!


4 comments:

the walking man said...

Why yes I do have quite a large vocabulary for snow...maybe over that next cup of coffee I can teach you to peak clearly about the true motherfucking nature of goddamn snow.

Charles Gramlich said...

Loved the line about you "having a few words of your own." What great comedic timing on that one! I could hear those words ringing in my ears.

Erik Donald France said...

Excellent, Jodi. I love it ~! In the South, its seems as if 'Spring Snow' is about the only kind there is, always a surprise to most.

jodi said...

Mark, I knew you would love this! Spring is coming,dear friend. xo Charles-yes, it's true. Glad you got a kick out of that. Erik-Spring snow is cool-and short lived! Have a great week my darlin's. xo