Monday, September 9, 2013

Farah Layla...

Why do we always want or at least think we want something other than we are?  I have always longed to look exotic.  As a short, blue eyed blond, such a thing was almost impossible to pull off.  I was told I looked 'girl next door' and 'all american'.  I felt common and dull while my beautiful porcelain skinned, black haired Irish girlfriend thought I had it all going on.  (Yes, Therese, I mean YOU! xo)

Well the grass was surely greener on Sunday when my very exotic and cosmopolitan family visited from Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.  I finally got to meet Sidra, my tiny great niece.  She is named after a tree in heaven, but she is our little piece of heaven on earth.  I have never met a happier and more content baby as we all passed her around and smooched her incessantly.  Nephew Eric and his gorgeous wife Hanna and Sidra were at the tail end of their 6 week vacation.  The first two weeks were spent in Europe where they enjoyed a cooking class in Bologna and treated the family to their new skills one night at dinner.  Last night they cooked some regional favorites of theirs that are now favorites of ours!  I am patiently waiting for my dates to ripen.

There was plenty of 'grilling' going on other than on the Weber.  I asked them all of the questions I could think of regarding their life.  Customs, beliefs and such are quite different, and very interesting to me.  Eric is a househusband that does ecological consulting on the side.  Hanna is in finance and specializes in acquisitions and mergers.  I truly needed more time, but I am very grateful that they could fit me in at all with their schedule and the complications of traveling with a 7 month old.  And Hanna is expecting their second child in February, so it might be a while before they are back in the states to visit.  I hope to visit there someday.

I come away with one thing for sure.  No matter what our differences are, our similarities are much stronger.  Family, food, laughter, respect, fun and our children are universal to us all.  I am honored to be part of such a diverse, exotic family.  I miss you all already.  Safe travels back to Dubai and I will think of you all often and fondly.  Kisses to my irresistible Sidra.  Your All American auntie loves you! xoxo



4 comments:

the walking man said...

Get a passport and go. Dubai isn't that far, now Mars would be a rather tedious journey.

Charles Gramlich said...

Your last paragraph contains a great list of what we need to be happy.

Erik Donald France said...

Jodi, fantastic~! Wonderful, and fun.

jodi said...

Mark, I said I wanted to be exotic-not alien! It's still a very loooong flight. And my passport is ready! Charles-I think so too. Erik-It WAS so much fun. I love my family, and they teach me so much with their views of life! xo As usual, thank you for all of your support. You guys are the BEST! xo