Monday, January 27, 2014

Cuba Libre...



Thought that maybe on this cold January night, a picture with sun and warm water might be in order.  Featured here is our friend, Luis.  He is a full time professional charter fisherman in the Keys.  That is one monster dolphin or mahi mahi that he is holding.  Luis is an expert that has given many the thrill of the lifetime as he makes catches like this possible.  He's been known to treat us to catches of fresh stone crabs, too. 

Recently, Luis called to ask if it REALLY is that cold here.  Yes, dear we are freezing-breaking records for temperature and snowfall.  He loves to remind me that it's bikini season 24/7 in the Keys.  I may have to remind him that he also has three months of misery when in June, July and August, the temps are so hot and humid that you can barely stand to be outside.  He won't be convinced that the two are anywhere near being the same situation.  And I hate to admit that he's right..

I have never seen schools closed this long due to cold.  In northern Michigan, snowfall would do it, but we never froze to death on the 3 block walk to the bus stop.  We stayed in for recess, but other than that, it was all systems go.  Today at Kroger, for the first time ever, I did not push my empty cart thru the slush to the cart corral.  I left it off to the side rather than enduring the biting cold for one more minute.  My Christmas lights will be outside till it gets warmer-whenever that may be.

These grey days seem endless and it's hard to remain positive.  Dreams of sun and blue water will have to do for now. See you soon, Luis-you big, ol' Cuban.


 Stay warm my friends and pray for those less fortunate, who are suffering in the cold.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

We've only had a few days of true cold here in south Louisiana. About to get a bit more.

the walking man said...

I didn't suffer from the cold, you probably won't believe me Jodi but I turned the thermostat down to 60 and smoked outside in a hoodie no shirt. get that blood to thicken up and you won't feel the shit. I will admit that -25 kind of suck monkey butt, yet when one needs a smoke what are you conna do?

jodi said...

Charles-I've read that you are suffering cold weather too! How very unusual for your area! Mark-You are fortunate to be one of those hot blooded people, but my blood thinners make me less tolerant. And I have never seen temps cold enough to stop a person for havin' their smokie! Have a great week you two and thanks, as always, for your input. You know I love it! xo