Monday, January 20, 2014

Dark Horse...

Is it my imagination or does it seem like people are more desperate than ever to stand out?  Has self expression by tattooing, piercing, hair styles and dress replaced true creativity?  Has learning Chinese been replaced by a symbol on the bicep?  Is it possible that the technology that has made the world smaller and given way to more public forums prodded this trend?

I can appreciate a cool tattoo, hell I've had one for years.  One.  In a discreet location.  But more and more I see tats in content and placement that surely must effect or set some limits on that person.  Does the guy with full sleeve tats and decorated fingers ever have a chance at a main steam job, or is he destined to be self employed or work at Guitar Center?  The same goes for the piercings found on the lip, eyebrow and cheek.  What about the tongue-causing that unfortunate speech impediment.  At what point does the adornment become mutilation?  Does a Mohawk or dreadlocks or pink hair make a statement and/or a judgement issue?   Pants falling down with underwear in view as well as shirts that show bellies as self expression?

I think these things are so prevalent that they say more about joining in than standing out.  I see very little true originality.  I can hear my Dad saying, if so-in-so jumped off a bridge, would you follow?  Don't be ridiculous Dad, I just want to be able to wear these hot pants!  And I would freeze with these things on!

I don't know...Maybe I'm just getting old.  But I'd like to see originality expressed the old fashioned way.  Write something, draw something, sing something, make something.  Take a photo of something other than yourself.  Read, learn, observe, do. 

Now, that would be original.  xo

4 comments:

the walking man said...

Jodi by the time it matters and this "forgotten generation" is in charge every CEO and street sweeper will have enlarged earlobes and tats from head to toe. We were rebellious and looking for our own "thing man" as well. Then one day we realized that nonconformity became conformist.

Yes we are getting old and we may have one more, and only one more boomer president then the reigns will have passed to gen X or Y. If we leave them anything to rule over.

Charles Gramlich said...

I think they're mainly about attention. Look what a cool person I am. But it just comes off as so lame and contrived to me

Erik Donald France said...

Agreed all the way, Jodi. Not that I mind well-placed tattoos in particular . . .

Janis Joplin's birthday a few days ago -- she was an original, certainly.

jodi said...

Mark-you're probably right-it will eventually be the norm. I'd rather be old! Charles-I can think of many other ways to garner attention than giant earlobes and pierced cheeks! Totally lame! Erik-Remember when we saw 'Janice' in Royal Oak? She was original in her non conformity. Loved it! Stay warm, amigos cuz it's COLD!! xoxo