Monday, January 6, 2014

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead...

After being know as a 'champion sleeper' my whole life, something very weird is going on.


 I've always been able to enjoy 8 to 10 hours of peaceful, dreamless slumber that requires a loud alarm for me to be coherent.  Until recently.  Planes, cars, and boats have been known to totally clunk me out.  Flight attendants have had to wake me to signal my arrival after I've snoozed thru beverage and a movie.  I'm useless as a deck hand once the engine has lulled me into lala land.  And a car trip?Fuggedaboudit!  Ten miles down the road, and I can't keep my eyes open.  My 2 o'clock "lay downs" are legendary and the butt of jokes among my friends.  So what da hail is goin' on?



Lately I have been waking to complete awareness at exactly 4:20 each morning.  Yep, at exactly 4:20 my eyes fly open and I'm totally awake.  4:20?  Whaaat's up with that?  Que up the Twilight Zone theme...



Here's some random and useless thoughts that have run though my mind at that precise and odd time:  4:20 again?  4:20, 4:20...  Nationally recognized day and time for marijuana smokers everywhere and no, I don't need to blaze up-altho this could be the ultimate 'wake and bake' ...4:20, four twenty...  4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie.  Blackbirds?  Stick in your thumb and pull out a plum.  Atchatz Pie Company's mixed berry pie sounds good.  Can't ever get my crust that good.  Wonder if they use lard.  My lardass needs to hit the gym hard.  April 20.  Easter is late this year.  I love those gooey Cadbury Crème Eggs.  And SweetTart jellybeans.  Where do my yard bunnies go in all this snow?  What do they eat?  Should I feed them?  My stray cat has not been eating.  Hope she is holed up safely somewhere.  Lola!  Stop head butting my hand and GO TO SLEEP.  C'mon spring.  Maybe by April 20th. I'll have the beach house open if the weather is good.  A s'more would be epic right now.  Gotta get some gluten free graham crackers.  Better check Amazon.  Might as well finish the 'Goldfinch'.  God, this Ipad light is bright.  It's getting light out. What do I have to do today-can't think straight without coffee.  I need coffee.  Might as well get up.



  I can always take a snoozer later-sometime after 4:20.  xo

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I've noticed that I can't sleep as long as I used to either. I used to enjoy deep and relaxing sleep. Much less so now days. Age I fear, though I'm sure that's not 'your' problem. :)

Erik Donald France said...

Every once in a while I have those mid-predawn wake up calls, often with bits of dreams in head.

420 means, consider moving to Colorado or Washington, maybe.

And keep on cat-nappin' if you can ~!

jodi said...

Charles-Oh, I'm pretty sure my age DOES have something to do with it! Erik-420 days, with the occasional exception are all pretty much behind me. And yes, my cat naps with Lola will help me stay lucid! Have a great week you two. And for heavens sake-sleep well! xo