Monday, January 12, 2015

Secret...

Psssst. Can you keep a secret?  I can and I'm proud of it.

 All my life friends have found me with the ability to listen and not share their issues.  A guardian and keeper of secrets.  I do NOT tell.  Maybe my experience as a hair dresser and a bartender was good training.  I've heard my share from the good, bad , ugly and just out and out bizarre.  But, if you share a confidence with me, I will take it to my grave.

  I have been told of pregnancy's-before the bellies gave it up.  Also, those who chose not to stay that way.  Affairs.  Even the juicy ones-I will keep quiet about.  Mums the word.  Dreams and aspirations that just are not ready to be realized will be supported by me and I will be checking back to see if you have made any progress.  Health issues and test results that are causing concern.  Weight numbers-very top secret.  All just between you and me.

 I try to not advise, but just listen and nod sagely.  Most of the time, friends do not want you to solve their dilemmas, but just to commiserate and understand.  Listen without predjudice.  (Wasn't that the name of a George Micheal album?)   So, I try to just be a sounding board and not offer up too much.  I think it's better to just let someone come to their own conclusion unless they specifically ask and even then the answer must be ambivalent so as to not come back and bite me in the ass. 

The only time I can remember giving up a confidence was when the person was endangering themselves or someone else.  Guess there are exceptions to every rule.  But as a rule, I got your (secret) back.

And I hate it when someone uses you to unburden themselves and then later you found out that they told everyone and just told each of THEM not to tell anyone.  I have a problem with that.  It's annoying and a waste of my time.

Can you keep a secret?  Do you find yourself a confidant?  Or are you one of those that cannot be trusted with a juicy tidbit?

Let me know.  It can be our secret.  xo

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh I am one of the best secret keepers! I have some juicy secrets stashed away that were told to me... secrets that I will never tell!

Charles Gramlich said...

I can keep a secret but I don't particularly like too.

the walking man said...

I can keep a trust if I must but secrets *shrug* those are simply bugs someone put in my ear.

jodi said...

Sissy-I know you can! Charles-Sometimes it's hard, that's for sure! Mark-Bugs in your ear? That can't be good. Y'all have a wonderful week, xoxo

Erik Donald France said...

Haha. I remember a co-worker who'd always say "NEVER TELL" and then she'd tell the same story, loudly, to everyone within earshot.

But, she also had the great line: "I'm sick of their faces . . ."

And she was fun, Japanese.

I'm a good listener, yes. But: Never Tell!!!!!!