Monday, December 14, 2015

Sweet Jamaica...


Well my, my, my.  What's better than December 15 being National Cupcake Day?  And what a sweet writing prompt!  I love cupcakes.  They are just the perfect portion of cake, saving me from that second slice.  One and done, perfect!  Cupcake shops have popped up everywhere selling all flavors of these little delights-and they are no real bargain.  The price alone reminds you of what a treat they are.  I have even seen them served in place of traditional wedding cake.  There is even a baking show called D.C. Cupcakes with contestants vying for the honor of the perfect cupcake.  An old friend of mine was called 'Cupcakes' in high school, not because of her baking ability.  Her perfect posterior earned her the moniker.  Gayle and her 'cupcakes' brought all the boys to the yard!  (Gayle, see I don't forget much either!) 

I am one of those people who consider sugar as a food group.  I simply crave it.  If you gave me the option of a steak, seafood, carbs or salad, I will take sugar as my first choice.  Everything else in the meal is just a means to the end.  I am the happiest when I've had my taste of sugar.  I read somewhere that as we age, our taste buds lose their ability to distinguish flavors.  But not our sugar receptors-they actually increase their sensitivity to sweets.  I guess that's why most elderly people seem to have candy dishes and baked goods at the ready.  Can you imagine the dilemma I will face in my old age?  I will still have to be at the gym even if I am pushing a walker!!

Hey sweet readers, time to fess up.  Do you enjoy a cupcake or two?   Do you share my sugar obsession?  My favorite cupcake flavor is red velvet.  What's yours?

4 comments:

the walking man said...

To be honest I like the Sally Rand flavor of cupcake myself. Strategically placed feathers and a nice dance. Now she is old school cupcake! I have gotten so used to not eating cakes and sweets I near forgot how much I once didn't mind combing the frosting out of my mustache.

Charles Gramlich said...

I definitely like chocolate cupcakes

Erik Donald France said...

Red velvets are good, chocolate -- any. Sugar is a tiny dopamine factory!
However, I would pick coffee over sugar, and segars. Wine is a good sugar delivery system, too. It's all good ~ and bad ~ !

jodi said...

Mark-No sugar for you, my friend! xo Charles-Me too! Erik-Yes, on the red velvet. WITH coffee, to be sure! Yes, wine does the trick, but nothing beats cream cheese frosting! Have a wonderful week before Christmas my Sweeties! xo