Monday, March 28, 2016

Christ the Lord has Risen today...

Happy Easter!  I hope everyone had the day of your dreams doing things that mean Easter to you.  My Keys neighbors generously hosted 17 of us for Easter dinner on a gorgeous 80 degree day.  There were new friends and old friends gathered around a New England boil and pasta and shrimp salad.  I love pot lucks where everyone brings their best or favorite dish.

That being said, I must tell you the story of my dessert contribution.  I thought I would try a bakery that I have never been to before and buy something festive, sparing everyone my horrible baking skills.  I asked at the counter for the pie selection and all that was left to purchase was Key Lime-a flavor that tends to be overdone in the Keys.  All of the cakes were sold out, but the baker encouraged me to try the brownies, a house specialty.  There were eight in the counter and they did look luscious.  I decided to buy the brownies and cut them in half because they were decent size and very rich looking.  The treats were packaged up and I went to the counter to pay.  44 dollars, please ma'am.  Huh?  For 8 brownies?  So, after learning the hard way to ask for prices first, I paid the tab and carefully hauled the package to the truck.  Quickly I rationalized that if we went out or I had hosted the dinner I would have easily spent that much.  There was a convenience factor involved.  I didn't spring for any eggs, colored grass or chocolate bunnies.  I sent no cards or flowers (sorry, Mom) so maybe that amortizes out the cost a little.  Well, a little...

Everyone enjoyed the brownies and after some wine, I ended up telling the story along with a warning of the prices at Bob's Buns.  Desert was delicious and one friend offered to hook me up with some real special brownies for less than 44 bucks.  Oh well, live and learn and enjoy the chocolate!

Have a blessed week and don't be a dumb bunny. (Sorry, I just had to get a bunny reference in there somewhere!)   xo

4 comments:

the walking man said...

$44 bucks would buy you some very special brownies around here. Indeed there would be no leftovers after dessert.

Erik Donald France said...

A la Walking Man, worth extra if loaded with "medicinal" pot and then some, ha!

Key Lime pie sounds pretty good right about now, too . . .

Cheers, Jodi ~ !

Charles Gramlich said...

Easter was very quiet for us. I love a nice relaxing day.

jodi said...

Mark-I realize the bargain brownies that are available in your hood! Erik-Happy Easter to your, my friend. Charles-Those are the best and truest of holidays! Hugs to all three of you, my dears. xoxo