Monday, September 19, 2016

Booty Song...


In honor of  national "Talk like a Pirate Day," (who thinks of this stuff?) I thought I'd post a throwback pic of me and my bucko during a vacation on the Outer Banks.  Lauri, (the wench in white) insisted that I costume up a bit as a sort of initiation to the beach.  After a few giggles, we ditched our eye patches and tucked into a big shrimp basket.  And maybe a vodker, or two!

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how pirates have become so in vogue.  Since I mostly vacation on seashores, the pirate theme seems to be everywhere.  Maybe it's the idea of being on a ship, drinking rum and pillaging something that perpetuates the romantic notion.  I admit to having flown a scull and crossbones flag and I do have a gold pirate pendant. But, I am an avowed landlubber and find the whole pirate theme a little gritty for my tastes.  My attraction sides to more metrosexual dudes-you know, the ones who get haircuts and take showers and earn their livings legally.  And I hate rum...Blackbeard, Bluebeard, Cap'n Crunch-you can keep 'em all.

However, I do have a fascination with Mel Fisher, who in 1985 discovered the Atocha shipwreck, netting a 450 million dollar cache of gold, silver and emeralds.  There is a pic of Mel in a tuxedo, wading into the water with a bottle of champagne celebrating his treasure.  My kinda party and well deserved, Mel!  I visited the museum in Key West and held a ten pound brick of solid gold that he retrieved on the wreck.  And  I gifted Randy with a 'pieces of eight' pendant made of Mel Fisher gold.  As an avid diver, he's a bit of a modern day pirate himself.

For a bit of corn, I'll quote my favorite pirate saying:

"To err is human; to arr is Pirate!  Forgive me this err-I am only human!  Enjoy your day, my dear Matey's! AARRRRRRRR  xo

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I've written a pirate story or two. Good fun...for fiction.

the walking man said...

Eye patches for angels

^.^ said...

Fun read, thank you for sharing ... Love, cat. PS: http://catsruledogsdroole.blogspot.com/

jodi said...

Charles-Pirates are colorful characters full of adventure! Mark-You big old sweetheart. xo Cat-Welcome and thank you for commenting. I will drop by your site. P.S. I LOVE cats! Have a wonderful week my dears. xo