Monday, October 10, 2016

That's Life...

Ahhhhh, Splendour in the Grass...a poem I love and a movie I can't believe I haven't seen. 

The poem, by William Wordsworth is gorgeous and remarkably my pea brain 'get's it.'  The words are lush and gorgeous to me and their meaning is two fold.  It speaks of innocence and maturity and knowledge gained by life experience-namely death.  Life starts out-more or less-innocently, and through the travels till death, we accept and learn.  That's life, as they say.  I will not post the whole poem, but advise you to look it up.  It's beautiful in it's simplicity.

Now for the movie starring on of my favorites, Natalie Wood, and Warren Beatty.  I know only the basic premise and that it was considered and discarded for our high school drama club for the scene which depicted the 'splendor in the grass.'  I will try to watch the movie soon.

A friend and I were talking today about how it seems that we are experiencing tragedy and death more than ever.  I loved when we were young little flowers that death had not wilted yet.  We optimistically featured our loved ones and ourselves as immortal.  But as we have grown older, death is as much a part of our lives as living is.  Maybe it is the system that is place to help us prepare for the inevitable. 

I am relishing the optimistic feeling that I am enjoying on this sunny Monday.  Hope you all are feeling some of the same.  xo

5 comments:

the walking man said...

It is not that death is of no consequence for them left alive, but it is true that the older one gets the more death they experience. It has always been that way.

Charles Gramlich said...

We have some truly splendifirous grasses down here!

^.^ said...

Hello from Alberta, Canada ...Thanx 4 visiting, Ms j spot Michigan ... Will be goin 2 hibernate now ... smiles ... Love, cat.

jodi said...

Mark-everyone's experience with death is deeply personal. What may be clear is more apparent as we live it. xo Charles-I love all those big plumey grasses and am looking into what I can make survive our winters! Hey Miss Kitty Cat-you find a nice soft spot to curl up in and enjoy sweet dreams. Have a wonderful week mah Darlin's! xo

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jodi - cool picture! I don't know why for sure, but I've always thought that Natalie Wood was one of the most beautiful people ever. In the music world, I feel the same re: Debbie Harry.

Death is a drag, but we have to live with it -- until we become one with it.