Monday, November 7, 2016

Harvest Moon...


As I piloted Rocco on his maiden voyage to Ossineke, the beauty of northern Michigan stunned me once again.  I sometimes forget that stretch of U.S. 23 north of Oscoda where the road curves and the bronze and gold leafed trees give way to the blue sky and the lighter blue water.  Throw in some white, fluffy clouds, some whitecaps and the sugar sand for some contrast and you have beauty.  Pure Michigan beauty. 

In the face of all the 'ugly' lately, (election stuff!) I sorely needed the escape of some 'hum time' that a long drive provides. With my iTunes playing my favorites and a Tim Horton's iced coffee, I enjoyed every minute of the 3:42 minute drive-most notably the last hour of awesome fall wonder.

And do you want to hear the best one?  First, when walking into a local bank, I noticed a big sign advertising my book reading on Tuesday night.  Wow.  Wouldja take a look at that?  And then, while shopping in Alpena today, a perfect stranger came up to me and said, "Hey, didn't you write that book?"  Picture my dignified response....My eyes bugging out and my head swiveling around-you mean me?  I almost dropped the expensive gee gaw I had in my hand, realizing that yes, she meant me.  I composed myself long enough to answer her questions,  only barely in time before I burst out in a fit of giggles at the ludicracy of it all. Not gonna lie, as surreal as the moment was, I won't soon forget it.

  So, tomorrow night, as I do another speech and book reading, I hope to be worthy of the attention and support that my town has shown me.  And when I get a little nervous from all this attention, I'll take a deep breath and remind myself, "there's no place like home, there's no place like home."   xoxo

4 comments:

the walking man said...

Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim Hooooooooooooooooorton! I don't know why you are so surprised about the notice of strangers but then you still have a somewhat humble nature about you so that is to be expected. As long as you enjoy the work you have immersed yourself in then all the attention is worth the bulging eyes and palpitating heart.

Charles Gramlich said...

You look like you are dressed warmly. is it fall up there yet? Not here

Mrs. Ivan said...

And this lady is very happy for all your success, couldn't happen to a better person. Hugs.

jodi said...

Mark-We need to get together for some Tiiiiiiiiim Hoooooooooooorton's soon! I will NEVER get used to it!! Charles-We are enjoying a very warm and beautiful fall. The gold, bronze and brown leaves of late fall are gorgeous. Mrs. Ivan-You are so sweet in all your support of me. I luv u. Y'all have a great week! xoxo