Monday, November 26, 2018

As Time Goes On...

On Saturday, my family got together to celebrate our Mom's 80th birthday.  80 years young, my Mom still 'does it all.'  Very independent while being very generous with her time.

Celebrating a birthday of 80 years is rife with happy memories.  I recall snooping through Mom's dresser and finding her 'diamond' tiara.  Modestly, she tells me that she was once crowned the 'Raspberry Queen' in a local pageant.  How exciting and glamorous!  You know me-even as a child I was searching for the glamour.

  As a 'young Mom', I have very early memories of my Mom-the original beach bunny-hauling all 3 of us to the beach for a relaxing day in the sun.  However, running crowd control on the 3 of us was anything but.  And keeping the baby (Lisa) from sun burning, too!

Mom raised us with a diet rich in 'homemade.'  The aroma of fresh bread filled our house almost daily and we indulged in hot bread and her tasty jam.  She canned and preserved our garden.  We sat down to dinner together every single night.  And there was most always a luscious dessert.

I have always been able to count on my Mom not only as a mother, but a friend.  I have felt supported through all phases of my life.  Ups, downs, and all arounds-she is there.  She was the best Grandmother in the world to Dane and he completely adored her.

These days we talk often and share the highs and lows of everyday life.  The weather, our health, and just small talk-that's our deal.  Lisa, Mom and I are looking forward to a rare 'girl's vacation' in Florida this year.  We'll hit the beach, drink some wine, celebrate, and eat some luscious desserts.

Happy Birthday, Mom-you are the BEST.

P.S.  Holla to my sister and brother in law for once again, hosting Thanksgiving.  It was beyond delicious.  You two are also the BEST!










No comments: