Monday, December 10, 2018

Easy to Forget...

Baby it's cold outside. Yep, and more than a little cray cray, too!

You would have to be living under a snowbank to have missed the hoopla regarding the classic Christmas hit, 'Baby it's Cold Outside."  People that must be the biggest hypocrites alive are questioning the lyrics.  As if...,

I rarely listen to top 40 music, but I have memories of 'racy' lyrics going back as long as I can remember.  My Dad would cringe as we sang along to 'She's havin' my Baby.'  Dad would ask us if the two in the song were even married!  A baby before marriage?  Whoops-not supposed to advertise that!  How scandalous.

We all know old Mick and the boys were not making an apple pie as they praised the sweet taste of 'Brown Sugar!'  Or wanted to 'Spend the Night Together.'  And when Rod Stewart verbally seduced his girlfriend in 'Tonight's the Night,'  no one even blinked an eye.

When I saw Dave Matthews in concert, I sang along blithely while he crooned 'Crash into Me' where he unembarrassedly admits to being a peeping Tom. (I still love that song, tho!)

Rap lyrics are even more heinous than my kind of innocent examples of possible offense.  The songs are played openly and have labeled and degraded women since 2 Live Crew back in the day.  It's gross, negative and completely without creativity that those words were ever recorded and played publicly.

So, are we offended by Dean Martin and others who have remade the song?  There is a list going around that can find racist, misogynist, homophobe implications on every Christmas song ever made.  So now what do we do?

I don't know about you, but I choose to sing along.  Christmas songs, that is!   Stay warm and have a great week.    XOXO

No comments: