Monday, April 15, 2019

Ave Maria...

It's with a heavy heart that I follow the details of the tragic fire at Notre Dame Cathedral.  It has been a dream of mine to attend Mass and view the art at this icon, on my 'someday' visit to Paris.

Much like the changed skyline in NYC, I can only guess that the skyline in Paris, too, is forever changed.   Unlike NYC, at Notre Dame there has been no death or injuries and all of the art and iconery is intact.  Thank God.

The question of religion as a formal practice has been pondered for years.  Most churches are experiencing a lack of vocations as well as attendance in the masses.  I cannot totally explain this trend, but I view it as just another way our society is changing.  As a child, I received all the sacraments and had a solid religious background.  As a divorced and remarried woman, I have had to bend my own rules to remain a Catholic.  I strongly identify with Mary the Mother of Jesus and collect rosaries.  But I rarely attend mass, and I can't truly explain why.  When I DO go-with my Mom, the ceremonial celebration washes over me in a way that is as familiar as my morning shower.  It is comforting as well as humbling.  I remain reverent.

As the holiest week in the Catholic church begins, I will pray for the grieving Parisians.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You amaze me......Great job

jodi said...

Well, thank you so much, Darling! xo