Monday, August 3, 2009

Where have all the Cowboys Gone?.......


I attended a graduation party recently in Battle Creek. The yard was beautifully landscaped with gorgeous floral plantings everywhere. The pool stood waiting and inviting. A buffet with Mexican fare was delicious and plentiful. Tiki torches and lights illuminated the evening. Margarita fixin's were on ice. The stereo speakers provided the music d' jour. Uncle Mark and Marty opened their home for their beautiful, graduating niece, Kylie.

As I enjoyed the view and my Margarita, I took a minute to observe the graduate and her friends. Now, I realize that at such a party, the best side of these kids were not likely to be seen; however most were exceedingly polite, (even saying hello to the "dinosaurs" watching from the fringe) as they snuck a shot or two.

Looking back, on how optimistic we all were in (gasp!) 1976 was crazy, compared to 2009. We all had our own cars by then and maybe have had 2 years of payments paid down by then. We paid our own insurance or at least helped with the bill. These kids had their parents cars or at least financial help from them as they hardly had jobs. One girl complained that Panera had her down to 8 hours a week, and any kind of payment was impossible. This, coming from an honor student, unable to find any other work. At the time I graduated, I was working 40 hours a week at a private country club that was booming with business. Probably stretching the labor laws, but lots of hours available, non the less. Had I wanted to go to college, I would have had no trouble saving lots of cash.

In 1976, the Bicentennial year, we were hopeful and blissfully watching the Olympics, and Mark the "Bird" Fidrych throwin' heat. The Vietnam war had ended and peace time was upon us. The drinking age was 18. It was a sweeter time-at least in my eyes.

Seems we have moved from a manufacturing market to a computer market-a fact that was obvious as ALL of the kids had cell phones, whereas we had barely heard of computers, and had to save our dimes for the pay phone if we wanted to indulge in any ilicit conversations. Where we used to sit around and "rap", I observed kids sitting next to each other texting (and/or "sexting") conversations with others not at the party.

Not sure what the upshot is on my thoughts, but the differences were obvious. Don't wish to be in their shoes-that's for sure. What it all means, I don't know. Best of luck to all graduates, seems you will need it. Enjoy the dog days of summer that seem to finally be upon us. xo P.S. Shout out to our friend, Bobby, who piloted his catamaran to first place in the races on Sunday. Dude, you ARE a rock star. Congrats! xoxo

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know where all the cowboys have gone but I think I've found the Indians cause every time I come here it makes me want to pitch a tent.

AWW SNAP! That's it, I'm gonna go ahead and call it now, Comment Of The Year! Damn I amuse the shit out of myself! I don't care who you are, that was funny.

Wil Harrison.com

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm definitely not envious of the young graduates right now either. The 70s were a more promising time, I think. Although maybe there'll be some cool tech stuff coming out in the next few years.

the walking man said...

The funny thng about the different generations is that we all face a future and just like when we were that age, it is again uncertain. It is their future to make I have hope for them. They see things us dinosaurs do not.

The first best thing they could do is what their grandparents did which is begin to en masse show the government their displeasure with the current set of norms.

That is of they could get off the phone long enough to protest.

h said...

I've posted somewhat similar thoughts myself. I call them Generation Yo! and think they're the weakest this country has ever produced.

P.S. I give Wil's comment an 8.

Erik Donald France said...

Good thoughts. Drinking at 18 was a nice reality, especially with the draft ended. I remember it was a big deal to use an electric typewriter ca. 1980, just as the little Apple IIe's were coming down the lone. Ha!

JR's Thumbprints said...

I don't think I could teach in a public school; I'd probably have a desk full of cellphones. Technology has made our world a much smaller place, which in turn means, those with the latest gadget will have an advantage over the rest of us - that is if they know how to navigate it.

Mona said...

I love Mexican food!

Generation Gap. That is what it is called.

The jobs have really gone scarce though :(

jodi said...

Okay, Wil. You crack me up and amuse me too! I totally give it to ya! I will give you proper props on my new post. Charles-I LOVED the seventies. Mark-you are so right. These kids need to have an old fashioned "sit in!" TROLL-Welcome and be nice to Wil! Eric-did't we love it when those typewriters came out! JR-I too, would confiscate phones till the end of class. Mona-you are so correct. And I LOVE mexican food too!

noisysmile said...

Oh I am so glad that I grew up before computers. But only barely! When you mentioned pay phones it startled me into memories. I almost forgot about pay phones! I remember when my great grandmother passed away. My mom had taken us into town for our weekly grocery shopping. We had no idea. Only when we got home did we know that she had passed away. We were told in person. When my grandfather passed away a few years later I was out of town, but I had a cell phone. And that's how I found out. Oh we are being taken over by them. I swear it's a disease. What is this impersonal device going to teach children?