Sunday, August 8, 2010

Burn Rubber......


ROAD TRIP!!!!!

After a harried week that included work snafus, truck air conditioning issues, boat registration stuff and a double surprise 40th party for friends, we are FINALLY on our way to the keys for Lobsterpallooza 2010. A week later than usual, but I'm good with it. Sorta.....

And we are doing it the hard way.

This year we are driving. Yessireee. And pulling a 17ft. Zodiac. With Lola. I'm sure American Airlines won't be too devastated to miss out on their smallest passenger, where she manages to hog all the attention away from the pilot and annoy the flight attendants.

Plan to leave after pizza tonight, 7ish or so, and drive till we drop. Where we will land I am not sure. Part of the adventure, I guess. It's 24 hours from door to door, but I will NEVER make it non-stop. To me, it's about a 3 day drive--if we are lucky.

I hate car rides and usually struggle with the 3 hour and 40 minutes it takes to get to my parents, so this oughta be good. It simply tests my patience on every level. I must admit, however, that it was nice to be able to take whatever I wanted in the line of packing--usually I do with just a carry on. Plan to leave the boat there and head home with a cooler full of lobster and fish. And Lola.

So wish us Godspeed and hopefully there will be no incidents--speeding or otherwise. I will try to be romantic and picture the Smokey's in the morning and truck stop food. Uh, okay... I will be back at you from my deck with the verrrry necessarrrry cocktail in hand--recovering. (I am too old for this shit)

Happy Birthday to dear buds, Billy and Bobby who got the party going last night, amidst the Harrison Twp. Festival of Lights. Beautiful night and ROCKIN' party! xo

6 comments:

Mona said...

You are going to drive a truck for three days?

Good luck!

Charles Gramlich said...

I used to not mind long drives but now that my legs and back are going they are pretty much agony at times.

Erik Donald France said...

Godspeed and bon voyage, Jodi~ it'll be worth the who journey'

p.s. It may be you can replace "too old for this" with "too wise/experienced to put up with this kind of shit except under extraordinary circumstances"

At 21 I'd so crazy stunts like 35+ hour drives; now, I think ten or twelve is tops in one shot, and even that is a drag by the last few hours. Esp. at night . . .

Heff said...

I could go for some Lobsterpallooza about now !

JR's Thumbprints said...

It just doesn't seem right to mention those cheesy local festival of lights when you're heading toward the eye of Lobsterpallooza. Enjoy.

jodi said...

Mona-actually it was a SUV and it took 2 and a half days! Mark-We will get there when we get there! Charles-That is a drag. I too, like the lumbar support thingy. Erik-Thanks for the little travel blessing. Hmmm, too wise? Yeah, I think so! I like how you think and will definatly replace old with wise! Heff- the lobsters are large this year. Melt the buddah! JR- at least there were some lighted boats this year! Last year I heard there were only 2! And being from a small town, I appreciate all things cheesy! Have a great week y'all.. xoxo