Sunday, August 1, 2010

Poundcake.....


It's been a long time since I've went to a movie, at the theater, the old fashioned way--before premium cable came along and granted us access to a bajillion channels. I never rent movies because of the commitment of returning them and I'm sure they will eventually turn up on cable.
So this past week I rounded up the three little musketeers and commandeered them to Partridge Creek mall and on to the MJR Theatre. "Ramona and Beezus" was the flick choice and I couldn't wait to see one of my favorite childhood characters on the big screen. I avidly read EVERYTHING author, Beverly Cleary wrote as a kid and often gift those very books to children now. And they seem to love the stories too.

First of all, I had to hit up Timmy Ho's for a large iced coffee to keep up with the little chickies. They of course had to have some beverages too. Then in a stereotypical summer happenin', Lexi blew out her flip flop. So, we darted into Wally World, with Lex in the cart, and grabbed her up some new flops. Made it outta there otherwise unscathed. Oh wait. Some idiot put in an arcade that, of course, the girls were familiar with. A few bucks later, in quarters, I was able to tear them away and get over to the theatre.

Now, little girls physically CANNOT just walk by a Claire's store. So, in we went and spent some time tryin' on hats, snappin' compacts, and admiring all the makeup possibilities. But, thankfully we really DID need to get going, so the time factor probably saved me fifty bucks or so.

Upon entering MJR I forked over $27.50 for my adult and 3 children's tickets. For a matinee. Okay then. Next we posed for the pic taken by cute usher guy before ripping our tickets in half. Refreshments come next. Now this took some serious time and debate. Three slushies for sure and an H20 for me. We settled on a large popcorn with free refills, some hot pretzel bites with fake plastic cheese product to dip them in, a bag of some time of colored sugar candies, and yet another bag of different shaped colored sugar candies. This loot would all be ours for the low everyday price of $29.00. You've got to be kidding me. Don't anybody drop ANYTHING!!

Once seated, we all happily munched thru 20 minutes of previews in a stadium style, recliner seat. Most definitely an improvement. The movie was cute and kept us all entertained for the next hour and a half. They did Beverly Cleary proud.

Finally all bloated and sugar buzzed, we stepped out the the bright light of day and walked to the car. But not before passing Bar Louis, were the little money eaters asked, "Can we go there? Bar Louis has the BEST chicken tenders ever!" No kiddies, not today. Aunt Jodi has sticker shock and simply must go home and have a little lay down. And maybe a wee adult beverage to aid in said shock recovery. Till the next time, little ladies, thanks for the fun day.. xoxo to Layne, Lexi, and Elle, my little partners in crime......


7 comments:

the walking man said...

I don't think it was a a "WEE" adult beverage that helped you recover from all of that.

Charles Gramlich said...

I really liked the Beverly cleary books about mice. I read most of them to my son when he was little.

Erik Donald France said...

Oh, man, what a saga -- "the little money eaters" would be a great title for something.

In for a penny, in for a pound . . .

Heff said...

It pays NOT to step out of the house these days, lol !

JR's Thumbprints said...

Does anyone ever shop at Partridge Creek? Or do they just walk around? Or see a movie? The only time I go is when my dog wants a treat at The Barkery.

Mona said...

That sounds like a lot of fun ( for the money eaters) :D

Great picture!

jodi said...

Mark, you know me so well...Charles-The Mouse and The Motorcyle! Erik-or as I say, "it's just the price of poker"! Heff-it's a scary world out there! J.R. I will watch for you and your pooch. And I DO shop there! Mona-we DID have a great time! Even the Big Money Eater! xoxo to all my darlings!