Sunday, August 22, 2010

Running on Empty.....


Hey honey, I'M HOME!!! Yes, after two weeks-nearly to the hour, we are home. It went something like this 2 marathon days of driving at the beginning of the vay cay, followed by 10 very chill and relaxing days, followed by 2 more marathon days of driving.

And as Dorothy returning to Kansas once said, "There's no place like home." If I could only figure out how to 'click' my flip flops like she did!

Given my overall aversion to fast food and roadside hotels, this is a minor miracle.

Road food has always left something to be desired. I managed to avoid a Stuckey stop, the 'Awful" House, and Shoney's. Thank the good Lord. I am happy to report that McDonald's now accommodates me with yogurt parfaits and grilled chicken salads. Subway will do in a sandwich pinch also. Lola caused quite a commotion yesterday outside of the Subway in Ocala, Florida, by screaming her fool head off when we went in for 8 minutes to get subs. Upon arriving at our vehicle, we were met with 3 police cars and a crowd of onlookers, deciding what to do about the 'cat in distress' call that was put in by a little old cat-loving lady. I explained that she wasn't that hot, just merely pissed cuz she didn't get to go into Subway and check things out. She is always totally insulted when she must wait in the car. When we were kids, we regularly got banished to the car while Mom stopped for errands and it was easier to go it alone than drag the three of us along. And not once, did anyone call the cops concerning our welfare. Luckily I did not end up in the pokey with Lola in foster care. Lesson learned...

We didn't stop at Ruby Falls, Mammoth Cave, Disney, or any of the bajillion antique markets along the way. No Georgia pecans or Florida oranges. Again, thank the stars and satellites. However, I did snag a nifty Hello Kitty key chain when we had to stop by an Auto Zone.

We were in Key West the day the idiot managed to steal the 5 pound gold block. I too, have stuck my hand thru the plexiglas at the Mel Fisher Museum, hoisted said block, but never once did it occur to me to STEAL the thing. I don't care if the thing is worth $550,000! They got him on video camera so it won't be long till he's hearing the "Bad Boys, Bad Boys" theme!

Driving over the 7 Mile Bridge in Marathon will always be a wonder for me. My very favorite tourist attraction. I never get tired of the beauty of that view.

So, will I do the drive again? Hell yes, tho this time, when driving thru Georgia, I AM stopping for a pecan roll........xo

7 comments:

Unknown said...

HEY! You made it! I would have checked in with you sooner, but I was up north with Sophie and Jamie enjoying the wonderful weather and warm water the first week, and this past week, my computer decided to croak for good. So I was computerless for way too long! Glad you managed the drive and Lola was not snatched away! See you next weekend!

Charles Gramlich said...

The "awful house." I'll never pass another one without that thought sticking in my head.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Now why am I thinking about Pitty Sing, June Star, and her grandmother from "A Good Man Is Hard To Find"? Hey, if it wer a D-O-G, dog, I'd've called the Po-Po myself. Welcome back to Michigan.

Heff said...

Hey !!! I LOVE "Awful House" !!!! Especially late night after seeing a concert. Their Steak-n-Eggs ROCK !

rosegarden said...

that sassy cat. just wanted to make the trip more exciting!!! She has to be the center of attention.!!!
Glad you had a great time. Fast food and highway hotels, part of the journey. Love a good road trip.

Erik Donald France said...

Cat scratch fever~~~crazy cat~~~~go, cat, co!

That's a long haul in two days, for sure.

jodi said...

Kels-it's all good here. Lola loves Auntie Kelly! Charles-my young nephew gets the credit for coining that one! JR-It's good to be home. Heff- we do not have the 'Affle House' in Michigan, and I prefer something sweet after drinking. Teehee! Rose-that darn cat is constantly stealing my spotlight! Erik-Lola IS a spoiled brat! But a very, well traveled one..Yes, it's a trip, but so is the airport! Have a great week friends, on this, what I call the last week of summer. xoxoxo