Sunday, May 15, 2011

Rock and Roll Never Forgets....



Bob Seger is embarking on his farewell tour tour in Detroit this week; and he is now 62 years old. Amazing! In the greater Ossineke and Alpena area where I grew up, Bob is a local legend. His mother lives in Alpena, so he is a semi-regular out and about. He has been quoted as saying he loves the area because he is left alone, mostly. My sister has played golf with him and my brother has shot some nine ball with him at the local watering hole. All of us have our 'Seger' stories-me included.


One cold Northern Michigan night, a girlfriend and I were out trolling at the Alpena Holiday Inn when Bob walked in and caused a mild stir. He looked good, dressed in a wool trench coat and 'piano keys' scarf with snowflakes in his hair and on his eyelashes. My compadre and I played the scene verrry cool. Well now...Didn't Mr. Bob sidle up and buy us chickies a cocktail. The bartender set down our new drinkies and said that this one is from Mr. Seger. We gave him a raised glass 'thank you' nod and got back a reciprocal 'your welcome' from Bob. The DJ respectfully did NOT put on a Seger track that would have surely embarrassed him. After slamming down his drink, our local legend vanished back into the dark, snowy night.



I grew up with and loved his music and most of his songs evoke a fond memory. From skiing to school dances to hot dates, there was a tune for all times. Just reading his current concert play list is still a walk down memory lane. No offensive language in the lyrics for emphasis, just relevant songs sung from the heart.


So as he brings his final swan song to Detroit, I say sing those old songs, dude. And if I see you out again, this time I am buying the cocktails. xoxo

4 comments:

G-Man said...

High school 1968.
Me and a buddy ride our Motorcycles out to Mt. Holly on a Hot Summer Night!
Admission...5.00 Bucks
Headline...Bob Segar with the #1 song in the country, Ramblin Gamblin Man...
We all have our Favorite Michigan Memories Jodi.
I LOVED your trolling story.
I have olde photo's of our family at Domke's Dino Park!!!

Erik Donald France said...

Ooh, that's some good stuff, Jodi. Cool connections.

To me, Bob Seger brings back memories of the late 70s visiting my hometown in Pennsylvania, his music was being played everywhere at the time; and, probably around 1980, when my cousin Kevin blew through Tar Heel Land with his new beide Carmen in a Plymouth Duster, blasting their 8-Track to Blondie and Seger -- these things stick to mind bigtime, bringing me back.

Anonymous said...

What's a Bob Cigar?

jodi said...

Hey G-Man, I grew up a mile from Domke's! Great memories indeed-Roll me Away! Erik-Aren't we all connected in some weird way? Music is our 7 degrees of separation ala Kevin Bacon! BamaTrav-get it together, dude. Cigar? Smoke an e ciggie! xo Have a great week, it's gonna be a warmer one! xo