Sunday, October 2, 2011

Emotional Rescue...




Just a reminder that October 02-08 is Mental Illness Awareness Week. As many of you know, it is my 'cause'. With an estimated 50 million people suffering some sort of mental illness, thats approximately 22 percent of Americans. And millions more are diagnosed with other forms of the illness-as well as those who haven't been diagnosed at all! I grit my teeth at the fact that breast cancer gets the whole month of October. Mental Illness Awareness gets a short blip on page 6. Could we please give 7 lousy days for this rampant, tragic disease? Please educate yourself, donate and/or pray for victims, caregivers and their families.


In other news, 21,000 Detroiters are on the verge of losing their welfare benefits. Really? What in the hell are these people supposed to do? As we support crisis situations all over the world, we have children hungry here in our own backyard. It makes me sick and guilty over my personal abundance of food and the utter lack of worry over it. I can't tell you when the last time I was desperately hungry. And how will rent and utilities be paid? Of course, crime will go up statewide for those left with no options. I know welfare benefits are designed to be a safety net and not a generational way of life, but this could not come at a worse time with our struggling economy. I have friends that suffered from our poor job market, even with a roof over their heads and food in the refrigerator. Detroit has very little employment available in the city and no way for people to get to other places with our lack of public transportation. Child care is an issue. Desperate times will surely call for desperate measures.


At least we have our Tigers in the playoffs and the Lions have 4 wins under their belt-- a welcome distraction. I know, trivial in light of mental illness and lost benefits, but still, a chance for our fair city to shine itself up. It's hard to believe that our million dollar athletes playing in our million(s) dollar parks are just around the corner from people struggling every day. What irony. I wish I knew what to do about it or how to help.


Have a great weekend and be grateful for our bounty, because there, for the grace of God, go us.




6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I know, the statistics sadden me.

the walking man said...

Don't forget that food stamps are now going to get means tested. If you own a car it has to be worth less than 5k if you have 5k in assets like an IRA you get them taken away or do not qualify regardless of your employment situation.

BUT the black community in Detroit that I am aware of sat out the 2010 election which in essence gave Snyder a vote. Maybe they will have learned to not do that in 2012 but the whole Idea is to force them who have no job and no benefits out of the state.

JR's Thumbprints said...

... even sadder, everything you mention will keep me in a job, not that I don't need the business with lawyer and dental bills piling up.

Erik Donald France said...

Right with you on all fronts, Jodi. Cheers ~~

Andy said...

What can I say? Im just glad that people like you are in my corner. Looks like it's been one step forward and two steps back since the conservatives have been having their way with us.

jodi said...

Charles-it is awful..Mark-I agree that there should be restrictions. And the whole program needs to be rewritten from the bottom up. JR-at least someone will profit and it might as well be you! Erik-Thanks for the support and cheers to you, too. Andy-welcome! I have been an advocate for years. I belong to N.A.M.I. and will get on my soapbox to anyone who will listen. I like to think that I have, in fact, helped somebody to understand the pain of mental health. Y'all stay healthy and remember to cheer for the Tigers and Lions! xoxo