Monday, April 29, 2013

Spiders and Snakes...

Once I saw clip that featured a woman who was afraid of pennies.  Yes, pennies.  Her reaction was crazy and seemingly unreasonable.  My son Dane's neighbor is deathly afraid of toads.  He gallantly and gently rescues the poor creatures from the crazy screaming lady.  Poor little toad.
 
I like to think of myself as a relatively brave person.  Not a worrywart, adventurous, and a little gutsy.  I have worked hard to train myself not to worry about things I cannot change.  That may seem a bit laissez faire, but it works for me.  I would always take the dare and race down the black diamond slopes.  I was the kid who would swim out the deepest knowing that I would be able to swim the distance back in.  Never had a fear of water and even scuba dive-in the ocean.  I could jump off the highest swinging swing and run up the longest ladder.  I have flown in a tiny 3 seat airplane and loved every minute of it.  No fear of heights here.  Learning to drive in the snow doesn't scare me a bit.  Just go slower and watch out for the other guy.  I can easily do a MRI even though it scares many people to be in that coffin-like tube.  And I've gotten used to shots, although I still hate 'em.  Spiders?  Snakes?  Bees?  Wasps?  Nada.  I don't relish public speaking but managed to bite the bullet when I eulogized my Dad in front of a rather large group.  Not so bad, really.  I am an adventurous eater and will try anything on (or off) the menu.  Well, not hundred year old eggs or fried cockroaches, but most other things.
 
But every year at this time I must face a fear that makes me queasy.  Invariably while shopping for my spring flowers I must face 'them'.  Some deranged person has deemed that those little gnome creatures are appropriate for yards and gardens.  With their beady eyes and squished features and pointy hats, well, they just creep me the 'eff' out!  I made friends Tom and Kara remove one from thier cottage yard before I could comfortably visit them.  I refuse to book with Travelocity because they use one of those little creeps as the mascot.  I have nightmares that there is one of them in my closet that chases me around.  I simply hate them....
 
So now, true confessions my Dears.  What scares you?  And be specific.  And if I ever visit you, please sweep all gnomes from your yard before Denzel Washington pulls in.  Happy Spring! xo
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

the walking man said...

Oh cool now I have a name for my car "The Green Gnome."

Uh sorry kiddo no secret fears here...A life time in this city? hat seriously is left to fear?

Erik Donald France said...

I'm with you on the gnomes, Jodi. Funny.

Not much left to be afraid of.

Charles Gramlich said...

Mostly a little scared of people. Gnomes at least don't demand I interact with them. :)

jodi said...

Mark, You've had to learn to be fearless! xo Erik-Those things are truly hideous along with the kissing Dutch people. WTF? Charles-People are the freakiest of all. Animals are better-for sure! My Amigos, I love ya! xo