Monday, December 9, 2013

Georgia...

Can I just say how much flying cracks me up?  On a short trip last weekend, I once again had to laugh at the incredible nonsense of it all.  At the Detroit check in, I was informed that I had been randomly selected for priority boarding.  This honor would allow me to bypass the nonsense of shoe and coat removal and xray of my two ounce liquids.  Whoo Hoo! I never 'win' anything and was happy to skip this scenario for once.  But of course, it was too good to be true. The buckles on my boots beeped and something in my suitcase-that was never identified- necessitated me opening my suitcase for a search.  This is Detroit and you can never be too careful.  So much for the special treatment.  And the security people were not even nice about it. 
 
 I love the insistence of buckling those wimpy seat belts as if they could possibly make a real difference if we were falling out of the sky.  The same goes for the 'upright seat' and tray position that must be observed in takeoff and landing.  Can't imagine how those things can possibly effect the safety of the flight.  I guess it's a power trip for those poor flight attendants for  putting up with people like me.  Especially amusing is the admonishment that we are not to congregate outside the lavatories.  As if!  I hate having to get anywhere near those bathrooms!  Move about the cabin?  Where?  And somehow, there is always those people that do not respect the polite code of planning and deplaning.  They charge up before their group is called, only to be sent back to wait.  On the way out, those same people try to cut ahead of their row to get off the plane 2 minutes before their turn.  So rude!  But thankfully, amidst all the organized chaos, we enjoy safe travels.
 
Atlanta, Georgia's huge airport is a pleasant surprise.  A greeter immediately welcomed us to Atlanta and wished us a wonderful visit.  Equally pleasant were the people at the MARTA public transportation center.  They pleasantly explained the system to us and, again, welcomed us to Atlanta.  The same hospitality was extended over and over again as we navigated restaurants and such.  Detroit could take a lesson in this southern charm.
 
On the way home as I sailed thru 'priority boarding', I was told to 'come back and visit us again real soon'.  And you can bet your sweet peaches, I will!  xoxo


5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I don't often fly, but when I do I prefer the Starship Enterprise.

Cheryl said...

I LOVE the airport in Atlanta, GA and have connected and traveled to it many times. The southern charm and hospitality of the people in the south is welcoming and yes, Detroit could learn a lesson from the southern folk!

Erik Donald France said...

Totally right on about the
airplane experience."

Jodi, Atlanta became a much better place after Sherman burned it to the ground in 1864. That's Northern hospitality ;->

p.s. behind every Southern charm is a pitchfork and a shotgun.

the walking man said...

I haven't been flying on an airplane in decades but I do like to occasionally get high.

jodi said...

Charles-Do they sell tickets on Expedia? Sissy-It's a beautiful thing! Erik-Leave it to you to give me a history lesson. I already know about Peachtree Street from the great history book, "Gone With the Wind"! Mark-Mile High? Hugs to you all! (())!