Monday, December 23, 2013

Something About December...

 
 "We Three Kings"?  Hardly..3 party buddies-totally!  That's a scenario just about as likely as me dashing thru the snow in a one horse open sleigh.  Or decking my halls with boughs of holly.  (Okay, I did do a little 'decking'!)  Or singing yuletide carols.  So, what's with Christmas carols being so completely irrelevant?  Me rocking around my Christmas tree is even highly unlikely-unless I were to get into my cups and then anything is possible!  And has anyone heard any jingle bells lately?  Roasted any chestnuts?  It's about as likely as a child getting a stocking with some nuts and an orange.  

I've been listening to the 'Love' channel on satellite which is playing all Christmas music.  Can't help but wonder why the best songs are the old 'chestnuts'.  Familiar tunes with words worn smooth by years of familiarity. The spiritual carols are my favorites and I suppose that's because they are traditional.  Many artists have tried to get me to like new songs, but they never seem to work.  Run DMC, the Beach Boys and Micheal Jackson-to name a few, just should not even try.  

 My Mom and my brother are driving down tomorrow and I'm praying that I75 won't find them stuck in a total 'carmageddon'.  As I host the holiday this year, I will try to keep some family traditions alive. For instance, my family prefers meat pie on Christmas Eve, so we will have meat pies.  If anybody feels up to it, we will drive around and admire the neighborhood light show, something do if we are still awake later.   We will go to St. Peters for mass.  Likely, the conversation will move to Christmases past and we'll speak of memories of my Dad.  Nobody, but nobody enjoyed a Christmas cookie like he did.  And having his family around him was always enough to make him happy.  But I digress... On Christmas Day we will have peppermint stick ice cream and my Mom's famous sugar cookies.  My sister in Florida will call and we will all talk and wish she was here.  That about wraps it up.

But I look forward to it all.  It passes by in a flash and my house will be quiet once again by Thursday morning.  The cookies and memories will linger as they always do-traditionally.... xo

Merry Christmas, my darlings.  Be happy and content.  xoxo

5 comments:

the walking man said...

So what time do we start drinking on New Years Eve?


Safe passage for you family from the north. If you're lucky they'll be snowbound with you until February.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds like a party! I'm on my way! :)

Mona said...

Jodi you look beautiful in that picture!

Wish U and your family a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi
The company Christmas party was a blast! Another great year! We are all like one big family. Because we have all been blessed to work for wonderful people like you and Randy. Honest, its not just me, everyone here feels this way. Thank you. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and yes darling you are now a member of the "Skinny B----" club. Congratulations!

jodi said...

Mark-I start late and end early-I'm too old for a party marathon and usually wish I was home in bed with a good book! My family travelled on treacherous roads, but made it home safely. Charles-I'm actually sick of parties and look forward to some quieter times. Mona-Thank you, Darling girl! Same to you and yours. Jeano-I love our company get togethers. We are blessed to have the best employees in the world. And Honey, I will never be skinny! I am a thick Norwegian girl-built for comfort not speed! Love to you all. xoxo