Monday, July 6, 2015

Me and Bobby McGee...

 
 
 My favorite holiday has gloriously passed, making me thankful and aware of my freedom.  Press, speech, religion etc. are privileges that we often take for granted.  While-as usual-avoiding anything political, I thought I'd share some of the ways I also identify with the word 'free'. 
 
I hate that we are free to purchase 'fireworks'.  I abhor loud noises, and firecrackers and M80's do not qualify.  All that noise is worthless without the beauty of the colored sprays of light.  Every year some wanna be pyrotech blows off a digit.  Besides, they hurt Mickey's ears.
 
I try to live as freely as possible and exercise my free will as much as I can without being too obnoxious.  Truly, sometimes it's better to shut up than be right.  Free advice is nice, but much nicer
when it is solicited.  I ask for friends advice all the time and try not to offer if without being asked. You know what they say about opinions-and it's not too nice! 
 
 I love those dumb tear outs in my fashion magazines and try all the free samples they can send.  My very favorite Sunday mornings involve the Detroit Free Press with all that that name implies.  Free loaders?  Not so much.  Pay your fair share.  Try to give more than you take.  And please don't hog all the free mints at the door of P.F. Chang.  Free People is one of my favorite brands of clothing, but it is most definitely NOT free....
 
Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.  Janice sure thought so.  I think that it is really more of a choice than that.  A free lunch?  Where?  That's cuz there's no such thing!  A poster on my wall once read, "If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back they're yours; if they don't, they never were."  The seventies were full of those dippy sayings, and me and my little gal pals nodded sagely at the truth of it all.
 
Hope all of you can find freedom regardless of your situation.  I've come to learn that it is all in our heads.  Yogi has especially taught me that and there are countless quotes regarding that particular nirvana. 

Thank you all in your support of me and my little freedom of speech and press.  Expression, to me, is the true freedom.  xo

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Always enjoy reading your slice of life adventures and thoughts.

jodi said...

Charles-thank you, that means a lot to me. I like to try to see the lighter side of things. Have a wonderful week. xo

Erik Donald France said...

Excellent, Jodi! Yes, it's all in our heads in the home of the brave, land of the free.

I wonder how we'd all act if everything was literally free of charge? Chaos, I imagine. So does money prevent anarchy, or add to it? Not sure of the answer, but am free to ask ;->

Erik Donald France said...

p.s. cool pic, too ~>