Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Cheers to the Fall...

An icon is gone.  Cedar Grove Tavern in Hubbard Lake, Michigan suffered devastating losses in a fire on Sunday morning.  Located in the cedars of Hubbard Lake, the tavern has been a popular bar and eatery as long as I can remember.  Back in the day, I was a regular.

The bar was simply a local legend.  Owner Jim, could be counted on for a warm welcome every time I strolled in.  A hug and a kiss and a promise to 'misbehave' were exchanged.  The dance floor was the scene of many sweaty, crazy times as some of the best local bands played on.  Me and my posse of chickies would run crowd control most Saturday nights. The pizza and hoagies were epic after, or even before a long night of antics.  Pig roasts and talent contests added to the fun.  It was locally the best Halloween party with all of us turned out for some costumed craziness.

My first (legal) drink at 18 was at that very bar.  Jim feigned surprise that I was 18, since I had been in and out of there and maybe imbibing for years.  The hug and kiss were extra large size that day.  And I totally misbehaved.  Randy and I, in a totally kismet moment, met at that very bar.  The story of the 'citiot' and the local 'swamp angel' is one we have retold many times.  We held Dane's 'up north' family graduation party in the side known as 'Tiki Jims'-and unlikely name for a northern Michigan bar.

But Jim is gone and now so is the bar.  Things are awfully quiet today in the swamp, and all we have now is our memories.   But damn-they are fond ones.  xoxo

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Something about that pic makes me think of a Van Halen song. Summer and pretty women maybe. :)

Cheryl said...

That's so sad that the place burned down but the best thing about memories, is that nothing can take those from us. Love you sissy! <3

jodi said...

Charles-Well thankee! Van Halen is playing here locally just not at a venue I'm fond of, or I'd be there in a flash. VH is one of my favorite bands! Cheryl-U got that right, Babe! xo