Monday, October 26, 2015

The Way...

What possesses a bald guy to drop his lid on  me one second before the flash goes off?  Dig me n Mark (Walking Man) lookin' silly after a two hour caffeine fueled visit.  It had been over a year since I got together with Mark so we had some serious catchin' up to do.  And, as usual, if you weren't with us, we talked about you shamelessly.  Were your ears ringin' Michelle, Jim, Erik, and Charles?  All love-I assure you.  This week, as I talk about a movie involving 'walking', it's just fitting that I show off my favorite walking man.

I rarely review books and movies but this week I make another exception.  I am on a roll with my fascination with hiking trails.  5:30 a.m. found me awake and scanning channels for something to fall asleep to.  I discovered a movie called, "The Way".  It involves a hike on the El Camino de Santiago, a hiking trail that starts from France through  the foothills of the Pyrenees and ending in Santiago.  In Santiago there is a cathedral that houses the remains of the apostle James with a mass celebrated every day for the hikers.  It is a gorgeous trek, 500 miles I think, filled with luscious scenery through mountains, small villages, vineyards and farmland.  It is full of symbolism and religious iconery-that appeals to me every time.  On the Pacific Crest Trail as well as the Appalachian Trail outdoor camping and carrying your own food is the reality.  On the Camino, there are hostels and restaurants available as you walk from town to town. Wine seemed to be awaiting all the weary trekkers as well as lovely baguettes. I actually aspire to do this trek.  For real.

 I don't really want to give up much about the actual movie, but I was totally enthralled.  The acting, the scenery, the soundtrack and the gripping message is very powerful.  I think it will effect everyone differently for just as many personal reasons.  I absolutely loved everything about it.  Please 'On Demand' or Red Box or rent it as soon as you want an uplifting, beautiful message.

Then, of course, let me know how you feel about it.   Warm fall hugs, my darlings!

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I think they made a Disney movie like that. Beauty and the beast or something along those lines

Erik Donald France said...

Good one, haha ~! Hey, I definitely want to see 'The Way' ~ the Way would be so cool to walk/hike down.

There's a surreal version called 'The Milky Way' by Luis Buñuel but it's pretty wacky. I think there's a book (probably many) on the Way. Love it ~! Spain rocks ~ southern France rocks ~ Portugal rocks ~ it's all good ~ > cheers to the duo and the gangstas '



jodi said...

Charles-I love it, but Mark's gonna getcha for that one! Erik-I've become obsessed with The Way. It's soooooo cool-wine included! Have a good week you two!! xo