Monday, January 2, 2017

Let it Be...

Happy New Year.  Welcome to 2017!  Instead of droning on about goals I may not keep, I think I'd rather look back on what 2016 has taught me.

January, February and March found me meeting with or phoning Mark, my friend and editor as we hammered out the details of my book.  The journey was at sometimes painful and sometimes joyful.  I let the emotions wash over me either way.  It was a wonderful experience with many ups and downs as together we figured things out.  At the same time, in March and April I learned to run crowd control on the construction team that took 6 weeks to complete renovations on two bathrooms in the Keys.  I had to practice pragmatic patience in dealing with the mess and inconvenience of the whole project.  More lessons were learned as I whispered, "it is what it is."

At the end of April the book was finally published and I had a hard copy in my hand.  I could only hope that I did Dane proud.  Spring came and I found a new role as a public speaker as the book took me to restaurants, and rehabs for book readings.  Two television interviews and one radio interview later and I was fortunate enough to hook up with Families Against Narcotics and eventually was honored to be asked to sit on the advisory board.  I have read my words in three newspaper articles and have sent out countless books.  I have since then spoke at two FAN meetings as well as two times addressing an impact panel.  I am so grateful to be able to use my experience to help others.

As summer flew by I endured the political race and all it's folderall.  It was absolutely painful to see such behavior.  Y'all know that I am the least political person in the world and just naively hope we can all just play nice.  We shall see....

As December closed in, I was able to share the holiday with family and not feel guilty about having fun.  I felt strong in the conviction that Dane was with us and would have wanted us all to be happy.

For 2017, I have silently promised myself nothing more than to just 'be'.  Be healthy, be happy, be loved and be loving.  And to accept it all with a grain of salt and a vow to move forward with this thing called life.

All the best things to you and yours for 2017.  It's a wonderful life if we just let it 'be.'




3 comments:

the walking man said...

I know you made that "2014" typo just to irritate me Jodi. Just be--it's a good philosophy, now just be the one to fix the typo.

You may never know the pleasure I had through all the back and forth we did on Love Is The Drug. Yet it was a few of the best moments for me during the year. Thank you for the opportunity to input on Dane's story and to comprehend in the months that followed the impact it would have on so many people who never knew your name or Dane's ability to love and care throughout.

Proud to have assisted you in carrying your and Dane's message forward.

Charles Gramlich said...

And just like that I've gone back in time!

Have a great one

jodi said...

Mark-I fixed the typo, but thank you for catching it! I love you. xo Charles- What a year it has been. All the best for 2017, my friends. xo