Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Moments Passed...

The text came in at 1:42 a.m.  'Dad, I'm okay.  Uncle Eddie's okay.'  And the phone went dead.

Bill, who works for/with us has most of his family residing in Las Vegas.  His daughter and her boyfriend go for the big country concert every year.  Since it was her birthday, this year would be no different.

As the shots rang out,  Bill's brother, an off duty detective, realized that it was gunshot.  His wife froze and tripped as Bill pulled her up to escape the frenzied stampede.  Running to their car, bullets were ricocheting everywhere.  They ducked thru a hole in the fence and hid in a nearby apartment complex.

Bills niece, a paramedic, immediately went to work, helping victims as she could.

Bill's daughter was excited to hear what she thought was fireworks.  Recognizing gunshots, her boyfriend got them down to the ground and covered her.  They witnessed the woman behind them get shot in the head.  At a break in the shooting, they figured that they would run while the shooter was possibly reloading.  They managed to make it to their car and escaped to the freeway.

Bill finally heard from his daughter the next day and finally was able to fully exhale again.

Thank God.  And may those who were not so 'lucky' find a way to process this horrible tragedy and familial loss.  My therapist assures me that these events forever change us in one way or another.  Unconscionable events are simply not what our brains are wired for.  I hope that all the victims and families are able to get the assistance they will need to move forward. They are forever changed, as is the whole world.

And I can't wait to hug Bill. xoxo

R.I.P.  Tom Petty and thank you for the songs that I love. xo

5 comments:

Mrs. Ivan said...

Charles Gramlich said...

I've been traumatized myself and I wasn't there or knew anyone who was. I just..feel so tired. I'm glad for those who made it to safety, so sorry for those who didn't, and their loved ones.

Cheryl said...

It's so sad and tragic. Innocent lives lost or hurt. Our world is a scary place.

jodi said...

Mrs. Ivan-Hugs my friend. xo
Charles-It's IS exhausting isn't it? The worry, wonder and trying to figure it all out. I feel the same way. xo
Cheryl-Yes, it's a scary place. xo

UplayOnline said...

so sorry for those who didn't, and their loved ones.


แคมฟรอก